Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

results of muffler removal

For those who could be interested - Today I removed the 2 forward most mufflers in my 540i as suggested by Arros (forum member who has had this done on his 540i also). Still sounds quite sedate at idle, although is a little deeper. When under acceleration gives a nice v8 roar.

Went to Mr. Muffler in Onehunga, great guy to talk to and seems to know his stuff. Rung the guy up, he gave me an estimate of price ($90) and said to bring it down now (about 2pm), waited about 5min for him to finish his current job, and took him maybe 30min?

Cost me $80 for both mufflers removed and new section welded in, overall very happy with service and price. The welds looks pretty good as well.

*edit* scroll down for sound clip

Edited by Creaver

Good stuff. You have given me an idea :mellow:

Edited by Apex

Good stuff. You have given me an idea :mellow:

The guy there said the exhausts are very free flowing...as a lot of people on here and the interwebs have mentioned, so I figured...cheaper and gives what i'm after. :)

*edit* no idea what you were quoting, haha

Edited by Creaver

Nice, by 'new section welded in' do you mean straight pipes in place of the mufflers?

Yip, just replaced with straight pipes.

Yip, just replaced with straight pipes.

Any of the dreaded drone at moderate speed Ian? Another trick i was told was to open up the rear muffler, take out the tangled web of coiled pipe, weld straight thru pipes, fill with steel wool for sound proofing etc, anyone tried this???

The guy there said the exhausts are very free flowing...as a lot of people on here and the interwebs have mentioned, so I figured...cheaper and gives what i'm after. :)

*edit* no idea what you were quoting, haha

I must have selected quote from somewhere else and it followed me in here <_<

Im itching to get a deeper note out of mine, im sick of having to tell people it’s a V8, they should be able to hear it!

Cant wait to hear the results.

For those who could be interested - Today I removed the 2 forward most mufflers in my 540i as suggested by Arros (forum member who has had this done on his 540i also). Still sounds quite sedate at idle, although is a little deeper. When under acceleration gives a nice v8 roar.

Went to Mr. Muffler in Onehunga, great guy to talk to and seems to know his stuff. Rung the guy up, he gave me an estimate of price ($90) and said to bring it down now (about 2pm), waited about 5min for him to finish his current job, and took him maybe 30min?

Cost me $80 for both mufflers removed and new section welded in, overall very happy with service and price. The welds looks pretty good as well.

Very interesting. Can you post a sound clip of your car as it is after the removal? Has this had any kind of impact on performance at all?

Cheers.

I removed the rear mufflers on the 735i and replaced them with straight pipes. It gave it a nice V8 burble. Not too loud but just noticeable enough for people to turn their heads and look. The people on the ANZAC day cruise may remember.

Any of the dreaded drone at moderate speed Ian? Another trick i was told was to open up the rear muffler, take out the tangled web of coiled pipe, weld straight thru pipes, fill with steel wool for sound proofing etc, anyone tried this???

No drone at all, I can't tell if this is from the awesome sound proofing or not. I got a mate of mine to stand on the side of the road (private rd in the middle of nowhere) while I gave it some guts, he said it sounded pretty beefy and loud. While at idle as mentioned, is quite sedate.

As for the rear muffler, perhaps in the future I will try that. I like the look of the standard tips. But for now, i'm quite happy with the result. :)

Very interesting. Can you post a sound clip of your car as it is after the removal? Has this had any kind of impact on performance at all?

Cheers.

Will try and post a clip up, I don't have any decent means of recording really, but will do my best.

Here it is, excuse the quality as it was done with my phone from about 30-40cm away. The car is sorta coldish, so the start idle is a little rough, at about 1min 20sec is what it sounds like when idling. I did not rev it above 3k rpm, will get another one under load and revved a bit higher if someone wants it (any excuse to drive it :)). The car is also parked right in front of a wall (too lazy to move it).

exhaust.mp3

Sounds great!

**Runs off to the exhaust shop**

Edited by Apex

Here it is, excuse the quality as it was done with my phone from about 30-40cm away. The car is sorta coldish, so the start idle is a little rough, at about 1min 20sec is what it sounds like when idling. I did not rev it above 3k rpm, will get another one under load and revved a bit higher if someone wants it (any excuse to drive it :)). The car is also parked right in front of a wall (too lazy to move it).

exhaust.mp3

Does sound great! Any way I can come over and listen to the actual sound, just want to be sure before I make the change in mine too.

What about the lights you have, are they standard for your model or are they aftermarket?

Thanks.

Does sound great! Any way I can come over and listen to the actual sound, just want to be sure before I make the change in mine too.

What about the lights you have, are they standard for your model or are they aftermarket?

Thanks.

Lights are standard for the time being. I have just noticed you have an e39. I drive an e34 so not 100% sure if the change will be the same as mine, but you're more than welcome to have a look some time.

Sounds great!

**Runs off to the exhaust shop**

Really? haha

Thanks.

i have an e39 540i and i've just replaced the twin rear muffler (well ones a resonator that was full of water) with a 3" inlet and outlet hi-flow muffler, got the guys at pistop to fab up a droopy outlet tip so it all looks nice and stock and hides under the bumper. Sound is good, quiet idle, no drone when cruising at 100, but when doing 60 - 80 in fifth there is a drone. Nice roar when u plant it. Cost me 280 all up. Thinking about getting the centre resonator swapped out (boomerang shaped thingy) with a hi flow resonator to open the sound up a bit. Note the inner diamater of the stock exhaust piping is 2.6" which is an odd size. I ended up using 2.5" to replace the small section attached to the new muffler. Didint notice any increase or decrease in performance.