Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

E39 Speedo etc not working

Today I hardwired my new radar detector in as Jochen explained to me,but I just spliced into a random purple/yellow striped wire under the steering column for the ACC power and grounded it on a nut somewhere.

Only problem now is that my speedo,tacho,fuel and temp gauges,indicator green lights etc no longer work !?

The lights etc on the dash all work (eg handbrake,Oil etc) but the gauges dont go anymore.

I checked the fuses in the boot and (I guess) being a lowish spec 520i it only had like 5 fuses in there :D.

I checked the wire that I spliced into and followed it up as far as I could see and it was all connected and also MM'd it and there was still power...I dont even know if that wire goes to the dash or what.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or may I have accidently pulled the gauge wire out whilst doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated

Today I hardwired my new radar detector in as Jochen explained to me,but I just spliced into a random purple/yellow striped wire under the steering column for the ACC power and grounded it on a nut somewhere.

Only problem now is that my speedo,tacho,fuel and temp gauges,indicator green lights etc no longer work !?

The lights etc on the dash all work (eg handbrake,Oil etc) but the gauges dont go anymore.

I checked the fuses in the boot and (I guess) being a lowish spec 520i it only had like 5 fuses in there :D .

I checked the wire that I spliced into and followed it up as far as I could see and it was all connected and also MM'd it and there was still power...I dont even know if that wire goes to the dash or what.

Is there anything else I should be looking for or may I have accidently pulled the gauge wire out whilst doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated

Check all fuses in the glovebox.

The low-cluster (KOM) is fed by fuses F18, F24, F40 (all 5A), all located above the glovebox.

there is no "gauge wire"

Make sure you didn't disconnect any connectors under the dash.

Violett/yellow is the power feed for cruise control, brake light switch and light control module.

If is connected to F41 (5A) above the glovebox.

Hi! you might like to look in the glove box at the other fuse box.At the top of the glove box are two white lugs rotate these and the panel will drop down revealing the fuse box It should have a card which will let you know what each fuse is for this may lead you to solving your problem.

Lol n00b.Didn't even know there was a fuse box there!Will check it when I get home.Checked to see and there was a random 3 pin plug with a thick red,brown and purple (i think) wire going into it and it wasn't plugged into anything.

Should this be plugged into something?It sits near the steering column to the right.I will take a pic when theres more light.Or are all E39 looms similar and it's for something else.

Cheers for the help fullas

With respect - these cars are muuuuch more complex the E36 & lesser cars & if you don't know what you are doing - can be a can of worms for the untrained. If unsure - best to get professional advise

Yes I managed to figure that out when I found a house-like circuit board in the boot!

I just figured wiring in radar detector wouldn't be much harder.

Who knows till I open the fuse box really...Hopefully just blowen the fuse.*prays*

other avenue is to undo what you have done and see what happens then.

^^2 steps ahead of you lol that was the first thing I did.

Luckily it was just fuse number 24 that had popped.Replaced that and was sweet as.

Had no idea at all and would have NEVER found the fuse box in the glove box.

Cheers for the help

Ashkan

Had no idea at all and would have NEVER found the fuse box in the glove box.

Even when the fuse locations are so clearly described in the Owner's Manual...?

Even when the fuse locations are so clearly described in the Owner's Manual...?

RMDRTOM and its prolly Japanese!