Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Bonnet/hood stuck down!

Hi!

I replaced my old dented hood and now the new one won't pop-up. Im guessing its because the whole front of the car has shifted back a few mm and so something is catching.

I've tried pushing down on it hard and seeing if it will pop up but doesn't work, tried it with two people as well. The latch inside the car is loose now but the bonnet is still firmly down.

What I want to know is if there is any other way of releasing the bonnet? From underneath the car by removing the bumper maybe?

Any help appreciated, I need to go on a trip next week and really don't want to risk it with this being stuck down.

Thanks,

Gregor

It might help if people new what model BMW you have . You need to help us to help you :wacko:

Pictures can help also

I did put 'e36' in the thread title :)

Its a 4 door, e36, 320i. 1993.

Not much to take a photo of, just looks like a closed bonnet on any e36, but slightly raised. The edges of the bonnet by the windshield line up perfectly with the surroundings.

The bonnet release cable has come out of one of the lock levers. Remove the kidney grills and you can get to the cable. Pull it from that point, the lever in the car wont have enough travel. Failing that you need a long thin screw driver to unlock the levers. Once you open the bonnet you might have to take the front panel off to refit the cable into both lock assemblies, thats if the cable isn't broken. Not the easiest to do and takes time. We did one about three months ago. I think we took both headlights out too from memory.

Yeah had the headlights and the whole front off last week but looks like will have to do it again.

How do I pull the kidney grills off from the outside? Without damaging anything that is.

Its not easy unfortunately, I have a special set of hooked picks I use to release the clips on the kidney grills. You can buy a cheap set from Repco. You might end up breaking the clips though. The joys of fixing a "cock up". The only way to get in there though is by removing a kidney or both. If you can see the cable with a torch, you might be able to make up a long hook with some thing to pull the cable, but it will need to be strong. The outer cable is in two pieces and one of the ends wont be located properly in one of the locks, or the cable might be broken.

Why did you have all this off ??

Next time, check the operation of both locks and check that the release handle unlocks both before you close your bonnet.

Good luck with it

Cheers

Glenn

Wreckers Technique: Punch out the centre of the grill with a closed fist (yes it does work and the grills can be reused). Long-nosed pliers to grasp the offending cable on both locks, pull to release.

Do as Glen recommends for religninig making sure that there is minimal slack in the cable connecting the two locks.(some have an adjuster).

Call/text if you have problems.

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

Ok thanks very much for your help. I'll go attempt it now and report on how I'm going later today. I'll take the bumper off since that will give more room and from then on I'll see.

Thanks again,

Gregor

Edit: Took it all off in order to replace the front panel, grills and the bonnet :) And turns out did the bonnet last and now it doesn't open...

Edited by WarNox

Ok, got the front bumper off, the kidney grills and can see the cable. Pulling on it as hard as we can and nothing. It's very loose.

Failing that you need a long thin screw driver to unlock the levers.

How exactly do I do that? Because all I can see is the 'box' that the levers go into, can't see any manual way of releasing them.

Thanks again.

Ok I give up, approximately how much would this cost me if I bring the car in to botanymortorworks tomorrow or sometime before Thursday this week? Because that is when I really need the car fixed by.

I live about 5min from botany.