Sign in to follow this  
stylish_division

e36 heater/air con

my heater/aircon temperature control unit in my e36 doesnt seem to work. The unit lights up and buttons fuction, i can hear the vents open up, but nothing happens, no air comes out, cant hear fans either. Anyone know what could be wrong with it? Didnt bother me until now, getting real cold and really need the window de-misters.

with the de-misters on the back window, if its broken, can you get them fixed / replaced?

mine works, but only the top 2 lines <_<

kinda sucks :(

Don't know if there are fuses for the aircon but might be worth looking at.

may be wrong, but if it was the fuse...wouldnt the whole unit not turn on?

yep tried full fan. still nothing

Edited by stylish_division

with the de-misters on the back window, if its broken, can you get them fixed / replaced?

mine works, but only the top 2 lines <_<

Either:

a) replace whole window with new one

B) track down every break in each demister line and repair with conductive paint.

Warning: if the strips are corodded, then a replacement window is the only cure.

my heater/aircon temperature control unit in my e36 doesnt seem to work. The unit lights up and buttons fuction, i can hear the vents open up, but nothing happens, no air comes out, cant hear fans either. Anyone know what could be wrong with it? Didnt bother me until now, getting real cold and really need the window de-misters.

Sounds very much like the fan speed resistor block has gone.

As for your rear demister, have a look at the rear window connections and check if your getting power there. Then check the elements, failing that....get a professional to have a look

i dont know what that is :S. would appreciate more information. would replacing the unit solve the problem? cheers

Edited by stylish_division

i dont know what that is :S. would appreciate more information. would replacing the unit solve the problem? cheers

Is the system dual climate control? Control panels are common to fail but sounds like yours is working.

As Glen said - Fan resistors are also common to fail (a small aluminium unit mounted in heater box on passenger side with from memory - a 5 pin wiring plug. If unsure - best get it professionally checked to confirm the fault - they are quite expensive to replace so guessing - not really an option.