Sign in to follow this  
shadowninja

Car Modifications, insurance

i might have to hit up tower :D

How do you find out how many points are on your license?

Do you have to call up the local station?

That's just wrong, surely you'd know if you had points...i'm squeaky clean so I know I never had any demerits :D

I know its not clean, I got pulled over earlier this year. <_<

Thats why I wanted to know how many points I have.

You have to ring LTSA cuz, i just gota letter about a week ago saying i have 80 demerits, f**kin gay man. its gone be so so so hard to get insurance for my e30, its got a rotary in it and i have a bad driving record! tha two worst things

Very interesting, you pretty much have to tell your insurance company ever mod that you have done, for them to pay out. Wow beter inform mine today,

Great and very interesting

If anybody wants a good deal on insurance for their modified car give John Rea insurance a call. They are based in New Plymouth and will insure modified cars. Ph 0800 RING JR

They insured my race car for $15000 agreed value. $5000 worth of spares. Seem this is a track car only and does not carry REG WOF there is no road insurance cover. But the car is insured for fire and theft. Transport insurance while it is on the trailer going anywhere on the road. Be it the track or to the wheelalignment guys. Insured while on the trailer at a motel etc.

$300 excess, $462 per ann

I also got my Flamates Group N Rally car insured. He has full comprehensive road insurance including while on a touring stage. Insured for $25000 and $15000 woth of spares. Most insurance companies don't cover while touring as it is still deemed as part of a motorsport event.

His excess is $500 and the premium is $530 per ann. His policy also covers all that mine does, Fire/Theft etc.

They are worth a call for a quote and are very good when it comes to costomer relations.

So ring 0800 RING JR for a quote.

Hope this helps you guys with your insurance woo's.

Edited by smokenbaby

Insurance in itself seems a brilliant corporate money making scheme. Twice I have had legal fights over insurance claims which should have been straight foward. Realisticly, providing you don't drive like a retard, you are far better keeping money aside you would save by not paying insurance incase you need it for what would normally be a claim.

Can anyone help with certification???

I have recently had a few problems with ride hight(65mm from lowest chassis point). I want to keep the ride hight as it is however this is no good in the eyes of the law. My car is homoligated with suspension that sits the chassis lower than 100 mm from the ground. I have been told this doen not require certification if it came as factory equipment. Does anyone actually know what they are talking about. Please help.

Thanks

Charles

Realisticly, providing you don't drive like a retard, you are far better keeping money aside you would save by not paying insurance incase you need it for what would normally be a claim.

bro thats stupid.... from day one with insurance you are covere against the worst case scenario within the policy.... imagine if you macced into a brand new 7 or somethin, you'd be forever paying it off whereas insurace would have it sorted, not to mention the temptation of diggin into your "insurance plan" to buy sh*t, i know i'd find it hard if there was like 10g sitting there

I'll pay insurance thankyou very much, cheap for peace of mind really, and when you think about it it's only a couple of dollars a day max.

Insurance is a necessity.

Not only is it peace of mind having it, it's also very useful for not having to handle getting things done.

Who cares if you're the world's best driver, the fact is, if you get hit by an uninsured driver and you have no insurance yourself then you're f**ked. At least if you have insurance your company will fix your car and chase up the other driver for compo meaning you don't have to drive around for months while you and the 'other' party try to sort out getting it fixed.

Not to mention fire or theft, if you car gets stolen and burnt, the police aren't going to do jack in the ways of replacing your car.

I think i'd rather keep the insurance too .. i'd more than like spend my insurance fund if there was one ...

Luckily for insuance my new windscreen is free .. and hassle free too ...

AMI is good if you have few things insured with them. They insured my race car at a better rate than the ones quoted above.

If you are running a race car you might want to think about 3rd party cover for the car. Sounds silly huh.......

Picture this....race car cruising on the back of your trailer on the way home.

Draw bar problems means trailer goes walkie off the back of the car, race car then breaks free and trashes a house...new 7 series..(feel free to insert your own worst nightmare here). No worries the damage will be covered by your car insurance because of the trailer provision

braaaap

The insurance will cover the damage caused by the trailer...but not by the car sitting on the deck.....

Hasnt actually happened to me but I'm rather glad I spoke to the insurance company before finding out the hard way....

Forgot about this thread...

My g/f backed her car into a Ford pickup a few months back. Her car was relatively unscathed, however, the Ford was messed up. The entire front right panel was crumpled.

My g/f's insurance had lapsed since she had to do something. I said budget at least $1k and she spat the dummy at me, she honestly thought it was a $500 max fix. Ended up costing her $1500. $400 for a new panel and the rest in labour, parts, and paint.

Anyway, after if happened I had to ring my AMPG insurance working friend to see what we should do. She basically said that if they have insurance then you just let their insurance company handle it as they will have arrangements with repairers. If they don't have insurance then it can get messy.

Here's what she said:

Take pictures of the damage to the other vehicle.

If they have insurance then their insurance company will get in touch with you. Let their insurance company handle everything but make sure you see a copy of the report and check that it matches the damages she did before making arrangements to pay it.

If they don't have insurance then they cannot repair the car without consulting you first. If they fix the car without consultation then you have grounds to refuse payout. Don't pay anything without seeing the repair report and again check that it matches the damage she caused.

no where will insure my car! someone help

try John Rea Insurance. 0800 ring jr

He insured my RX7 race car $15000 cover on car (fire, theift and travelling -on trailer) Plus all my spares and tools etc $5000 same cover as car. $460/year and $300 excess

He also insures my old flatmates EVO3 Rally car. $25000 full comprehensive road insurance, fire theift and travel. Even included Touring stages on rallies as they are on public roads. Even the fact that the touring stages are still part of a motorsport event, their reason, public need to be covered and so do you.

John races a Camaro in the Sports and GT class and know all about race cars, classic etc having trouble with insurance.

All their policies are non replacement so that means they pay out on the insured value of the car and not market place.

Hope this helps everyone out.

ah AMI is crap, did not wont to insure me

Haha, AMI rock for not insuring at risk drivers, keeps the premiums down for the rest of us.

FYI, AMI are really good insurers, looked after my folks really well when their house got wasted in a fire in December, paid out $90k contents insurance and organising house rebuild.

AMI all good. Insured my 318i for 3rd party fire and theft for 150.

(lowered, tints, stereo, exhaust 19 y/o driver)

how, i just rang them and said i got a 98 318ti and want to put mags, springs and tints and they said no. i've never had anything wrong in my life, never crash, driving offences nothing.?????

How old are you? I am 26 and been driving for the last 8 years. I always found that when I was under 25, it's a lot more difficult to get cover without paying an arm and a leg (if at all).

I have a 98' 323i, my premium drop 40% when I turned 25.

Guest Andrew

Just on a side note:

Classic Cover Insurance (www.classiccover.co.nz) underwritten by NZI -

Insure my racecar for $35000 and 5000k on road each year

all for a premium of $539 a year! They will even replace parts etc etc.

im 26years old but when i told them the state wouldnt let me put on a package deal (mags, tyres, tints, lowering kit) they said no as well. cause its more than 20% of the car value, i bought it for $10,400 but market value should be around $14,000 if from a car yard.

Try PIONEER insurance, aside from the national auto club there the only ones that would insure me due to alot of driving offences, anyway i was 21 at the time , coverd for 10k pay $94.00 a month $600 excess, and am now about to ring them and give them a list of my mods, hope my premiums dont go up!

I've just got insurance sorted on my 1993 320i... I only wanted third party, fire and theft. I'm 19 and have my full drivers licence.

Mods are: 18" alloys, sound system being less than $1,500, 4 star alarm. I was told State would do the best deal but they declined. So phoned around and found that my bank Westpac was the best deal. $19 a fortnight with $300 excess....

So give your bank a go...

Wonder if they'll still be my friend once I get springs + tints + k&n filter installed? <_<

Edited by aenima