Sign in to follow this  
callumb

Differential mount help - how to replace?

1979 635csi

Can anybody out there please give me some quick tips on how to lower the diff enough to replace the differential mount? (After spending 2 hours trying to undo 1 bolt I figure its time to ask for help. I don't have a service manual for it)

The Diff has a surround which looks to be attached to the car somehow, from what I can tell its attached by 2 bolts either side and 4 on top, most of which I've loosened. I have this feeling I didn't need to do that?

thanks

Edited by callumb

Hello Callumb,

I know nothing of the 635csi but can direct you to a useful website Just type in your body code. the last 8 didgits i believe.

Regards,

Adam

p.s if you introduce yourself on the new members section you might get better feedback. Post some pictures of your car too. :)

edit: fixed link

Edited by tcbaurpower

Cheers for the advice. I have all the parts, just lacking the know how, I don't imagine its particularly difficult when you know how! If I don't get much of a response I'll just keep unwinding bolts.. :unsure:

Will take some pics under when I'm under the car next.. its pretty messy under there!

Have a Talk to Glenn @Botany Motor Worx, He's a forum sponser and will point you in the right direction - No doubt he will post up here soon :D

The differential housing is part of the main cross member, so by the looks of it you'd have to undo all the bolts holding the differential to it, there is also a small cylinder thing on the right hand side of the diff/housing looks like a reservoir? I'm thinking I need to detach that as well..? Here are some pics - as you can see I've removed most of the bolts already - there is one on top (right front) of the housing which is a real pain to undo, have only managed to turn it about 3 times - arkward to get at - you have to weave your arm through the fuel filter assembly to get to it.

post-3220-1215832405_thumb.jpg post-3220-1215832416_thumb.jpg post-3220-1215832439_thumb.jpg post-3220-1215832447_thumb.jpg post-3220-1215832453_thumb.jpg

Never been under a E24 but should be similar to other bmws in which you only have to remove:

4 19mm? bolts at the top which attach the diff to the housing(which you seem to have done)

4 17mm driveshaft locknuts,

Allen Key bolts for the 2 cv joints on the diff

Big 22mm? that goes through the diff rubber diff mount