Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

How do you drive yours?

in my owners manual...it says.If you have been driving under three thousands revs more a period of time you must drive over three thousand revs for a period of time.....honest officer i MUST do over 150 ks.... it says in my owners manual...

Guess that relates to what my mate brings up every once in a while where someone buys a granny car that's hardly been used just around town etc, and wonders why it blew the engine when they hit the state highway for the first time in it.

on my 328 ci, there these several main chassis control systems collectively named "DSC" which is as far as i know, is what Sick Puppy is referring to as AIDS:

- ABS brakes

- traction control

- corner brake control

- active stability control

see:

it's a reasonably old technology, but works really well - it takes a bit of getting used to, but significantly improves day-to-day usability of the car, especially in the wet when taking off @ a T-junction or Stop sign.

Pft.

Hey, don't knock them FXGT's- I started driving here in NZ with a Jap-spec '86 model, and it was awesome! :D [sigh]

What is AIDS by the way? Last I heard it was an incurable STD, so I'm assuming it's some form of electronic traction control? I'm looking at E30's and E34's as my next purchase, so might be a bit new fangeld for me! lol

Oh, and to answer the question, apparently not very well! lol

Being a Jap import hater, the FXGT was sh*t, it was the NZ Assembled GT that was good.

Driving aids.

Foot to the floor, shifting at redline, stand on the brakes, EVERY CORNER AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. In the 2002.

In the M3 I drive almost always within the law.

I drive my car's just as Helen Clark recomended - Go 10k slower than the speedlimit and use 10% less gas, or not drive at all and walk 400m to a meeting then make headlines over it.

Just Kidding

I usally do 105k on the open road, Like to Have a bit of fun through the twisties sometimes - More fun in the 323 with the decent tire/spring setup. 320 is a bit slugish.

Pft.

Yea, some people prefer "raw" driving, but im a techno geek, and understand that electrics in certain situations do better than humans, and vicea versa. I like DSC, but wish the traction control was a bit more advanced because it just cuts throttle.

I think a new traction control scheme with a dynamic variable rate diff which could control the drive ratio for each powered wheel could do some wonderful things....

Edited by Silvermace

Yea, some people prefer "raw" driving, but im a techno geek, and understand that electrics in certain situations do better than humans, and vicea versa. I like DSC, but wish the traction control was a bit more advanced because it just cuts throttle.

I think a new traction control scheme with a dynamic variable rate diff which could control the drive ratio for each powered wheel could do some wonderful things....

I'll take a proper LSD and no stability aids any day thanks. To be honest in the M3 you'd have to do something very, very stupid to have it all go wrong, even without any driver "aids" (other than ABS).

like over accelerate through a wet corner? Very easy to do.

Not everybody is a driving genius ;)

Slow & steady around town-too many muppets trying to take you out-close to the limit on the open road-too many muppets wanting to lock you up-give it sh*t on the windy bits!

Depends where, what time, how much traffic and if i'm alone or with passengers! Generally, as my job depends on having a license i'm roughly at the speed limit. I do however stick to a few rules,

1. Never ever speed in a 50km/h zone full stop.

2. Never speed with passengers.

3. Never speed where i could endanger someone else ie. other motorists/pedestrians.

Open roads and back windy roads, with no traffic ...well we all like to have a bit of fun don't we!! I find taking a corner at faster speed, without going over the limits of the car more satisfying than out and out speed.

I have to say though, for pure 'driving pleasure' the e30 325i can't be beaten for its rawness. The e36 323i is a more refined drive, not as raw. Both have their plus points!

There is a time and a place, which should be a track. I'm not saying speeding is right!

My 2c....

Edited by bmpower

like over accelerate through a wet corner? Very easy to do.

Not everybody is a driving genius ;)

I think that's a lot harder to do than suggested...and would come under the "stupid" category. In Cam's M3 Evo you would struggle to unstick the rear - probably a fistful of lock and WOT needed. I would consider that a stupid thing to do in the wet.

Not exactly a AW11.

Baby I Roll.

I'm a curtious driver. You wouldn't believe it. But I am.

It's courteous. Or do you mean cautious? Either way, good on you. Far too many overly aggressive drivers out there.

Cautious driving pays off. Literally.

Just back from Ruapehu, did around 100-110kph there and an easy 80-100kph back. Used 15L less petrol on the way home. Both times no traffic, same load, same road. Was shocked myself

It's courteous. Or do you mean cautious? Either way, good on you. Far too many overly aggressive drivers out there.

Cautious driving pays off. Literally.

Haha thanks Mr Spelling Bee. :huh:

i roll im my all blue chucks.

I think that's a lot harder to do than suggested...and would come under the "stupid" category. In Cam's M3 Evo you would struggle to unstick the rear - probably a fistful of lock and WOT needed. I would consider that a stupid thing to do in the wet.

Not exactly a AW11.

Unsticking the rear in the wet is way easy in an E30 even my 318 has had its moments

Just back from Ruapehu, did around 100-110kph there and an easy 80-100kph back. Used 15L less petrol on the way home. Both times no traffic, same load, same road. Was shocked myself

Manual or auto? In my 320 (which is auto) I find 80-90kph uses alot more gas than sitting at 110.

At 80~ I guess the torque converter isnt fully locked up

Haha thanks Mr Spelling Bee. :huh:

I was disambiguating (clarifying/trying to understand), courteous and cautious = different meanings. A few of my girlfriend's friends are very courteous drivers letting people through, etc, etc but don't exactly drive cautiously - fiddling with stereo/texting, etc.

Courteous drivers are becoming rarer by the day though :angry: . Have to wait a wee while before I'm let into traffic from my driveway some mornings!

Unsticking the rear in the wet is way easy in an E30 even my 318 has had its moments

The comments above are about E36 M3's. <_<

My car (E30) with LSD needs some provocation to get the tail unstuck in the wet. Has let go once or twice, but it was more tailhappy with the single spinner - let go unexpectedly a few times especially roundabouts .

EDIT:

Manual or auto? In my 320 (which is auto) I find 80-90kph uses alot more gas than sitting at 110.

At 80~ I guess the torque converter isnt fully locked up

Auto. I find it hard to believe that you use more gas at lower constant speeds?

Maybe there is a difference in gearing. I was driving a Nissan X-Trail.

Edited by JiB

The comments above are about E36 M3's. <_<

My car (E30) with LSD needs some provocation to get the tail unstuck in the wet. Has let go once or twice, but it was more tailhappy with the single spinner - let go unexpectedly a few times especially roundabouts

I will stop posting before I annoy anyone else. :rolleyes:

Mate! I hope that last part wasn't aimed at me? You certainly didn't annoy me! I was just commenting.

Cheer

ps make a build log of your e30 racer

Mate! I hope that last part wasn't aimed at me? You certainly didn't annoy me! I was just commenting.

Cheer

ps make a build log of your e30 racer

Edited. It wasn't aimed at you. Didn't want to come across as Spelling Nazi.

I would make a build thread for my piece of poo, but

a) I don't exactly have many pictures

b ) neither CamB or myself will remember/bother to take pictures when working on it

c) it's pretty rangi

d) it's ugly.

Edited by JiB

E39 don't like hills.

Drive slow to save fuel.Even if it means driving way under the speed limit.

just abide by the law around urban areas

backroads, twisties, track etc - LIKE I STOLE IT!