Sign in to follow this  
piriaka

Ex Singapore BMW's

Hi, All

Is there a set of views/concerns about BMWs sourced ex Singapore? Also, as opposed to those from Japan??

Keen to know any foibles!

Thanks heaps

Ray

The search function is your friend Ray :) This has been discussed plenty of times.

Basically I think it boils down to this. Singapore cars are less desirable because they tend to have more problems with the humidity and heat in Singapore than the Japanese imports. They are perceived to have more electrical problems and the various rubbers around the car tend to degenerate faster than other imports.

The do however take less to get the radio/tv etc working as I believe they are the same frequency etc as NZ, but I dont remember the full details on that.

I guess that with any car you buy it on condition and service history and not where its come from.

Yep Martyn's right - Electronics - Nav/Radio are the same as here. TV is worldwide.

Singapore origin are renowned for electronic issues along with rubber/ plastic failures due to heat/humidity but I must say i have seen thes issues on other cars more than BMW's. Have worked with several ex Sing Beemers that have not had issues.

I would be comfortable sourcing a car from Singapore but would want a young, low milage one - where it has not had excessive exposure time to the elements there.

Also - make sure that the car is fully optioned - heater etc - I am aware of some not specced with with for that market.

We've had some pretty shocking singapore Peugeots come into work with those types of probs, where the jap ones don't sem to suffer quite so bad.

So with experiance with both i think the jappas would be more ideal.

If you do your homework before purchasing a car from either country you should be able to eliminate the lemon factor and get a reliable vehicle. Age and mileage would have to be taken into account as Hotwire has made mention of.

Allan

The Japanese cars tend to have the smaller numberplate recess in the back whereas the Singapore cars will have the fullsize european recess. Not a big deal I guess, but if you like your Euro-plate look Japanese cars just won't cut it. But yeah, they do tend to suffer from more heat/humidity degradation like the taillights yellowing and cracking, and rubbers wearing out.

HI THERE , MUST OF SINGAPORE IS LEATHER SEAT AND ALWAY GOT A RUBBER/PLASTIC FAILURE OR AIRCOMDITION

I agree

I agree

Really? :wacko:

Some one has already mentioned heaters in this thread, and in my experiance, this has been a major problem with ex Singaporean cars. If a car has a heater installed (and most have) then the Singaporeans usually block off the water line to the heater radiator. The first problem you will face is finding exactly where this blockage has been placed and removing it. Then comes the next big problem. Because the heater radiator has not had water flowing through it, and usually just has the old water sitting in it, it is usually pretty rusted out. Give it a short time of use and suddenly the front floor of the car will fill up with coolant, and the heating radiator will need to be replaced.

Piraka have you had problems. Braincol is on the money with the blanked off heaters I found two plugs in mine they were in the hoses by the fire wall / heater core connection. To remove them was a simple hose removal and long nose pliers to pull them out, bleed the air from the heater core and re-connect.Then hope the heater core doesn't spring a leak as I believe its expensive to replace in a E39.

Piraka have you had problems. Braincol is on the money with the blanked off heaters I found two plugs in mine they were in the hoses by the fire wall / heater core connection. To remove them was a simple hose removal and long nose pliers to pull them out, bleed the air from the heater core and re-connect.Then hope the heater core doesn't spring a leak as I believe its expensive to replace in a E39.

why do they block them off?

why do they block them off?

They have no need for heaters in Singapore, so rather than remove the heaters it is a lot easier to stop the coolant from flowing. No other reason.

Why not just turn the heater off, much easier.

Thanks, everyone - I have in fact got man ex-Singapore E39. 2002. M54 2.2 litre engine. Has a heater operating. Car has full BMW service history and a non - smoker previous owner. Seems the back seat was never sat in. Car has all books and service records in English too which is a point for me. Could be that the front suspension bushes DO need replacing. I take the point about the heat/humidity. Has got Kiwi Eurostyle plates on now too.

It appears it is not that easy to just turn off the heater in a E39 as the heating and air con systems appear to be tied together through the M-Bus link set up , don't ask me to explain that just going on what is in the Bentley manual.

Cheers Allan

Do the E39s use a bus setup? Thought they would have been too old for that system?

Greg1 1 1 these are the two types mentioned in the Bentley manual, IHKA, IHKR

post-1581-1216455455_thumb.jpg

post-1581-1216455753_thumb.jpg

and some of the components involved

post-1581-1216456075_thumb.jpg

post-1581-1216455472_thumb.jpg

Do the E39s use a bus setup? Thought they would have been too old for that system?

Yep - IBus, E46's & some others KBus. New cars E60/90 etc & E65 use MOST - a fibre optic data link -standing for (media oriented systems transport)

Yeah i would assume the new ones ran a CAN bus system, just thought the E39s were too old for that system, then again i sopose they were early 2000s.

Yeah i would assume the new ones ran a CAN bus system, just thought the E39s were too old for that system, then again i sopose they were early 2000s.

E39's started in 95 with IBus