Sign in to follow this  
cytamen

Stereo Does Not Power On

When I bought my car, I found that the stereo did not power on at all. Tape deck does not respond and none of the buttons do anything. However, the CD stacker in the back definitely has power.

Are there any common problems with E39 stereo systems I should know of? Is it likely to be a fuse or am I going to have to take the entire head unit out?

If it's likely to be fusings, which ones need to be replaces? I don't have the map of which fuses are for what and am not really sure what to look for.

Any help would be much appreciated!

When I bought my car, I found that the stereo did not power on at all. Tape deck does not respond and none of the buttons do anything. However, the CD stacker in the back definitely has power.

Are there any common problems with E39 stereo systems I should know of? Is it likely to be a fuse or am I going to have to take the entire head unit out?

If it's likely to be fusings, which ones need to be replaces? I don't have the map of which fuses are for what and am not really sure what to look for.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Questions:

1. What model stereo: Reverse, Business, Professional, with or without nav?

2. What amp is fitted: none, HiFi, or DSP?

3. What market E39: NZ-new, ex-Japan, ex-Singapore, or other?

Fuse map is shown below the fuse holder (above glovebox) and on the battery access trim (boot, RHS)

No Nav.

1. Business

2. No amp.

3. Lovely singapore. -_-

Edited by cytamen

I should probably also add, I have replaced any dodgy fuses with no luck. The tape deck is not responsive and the head unit is a brick. Also, the CD stacker is without a magazine.

If I did have an amp, it would be beside the stacker, correct?

I should probably also add, I have replaced any dodgy fuses with no luck. The tape deck is not responsive and the head unit is a brick. Also, the CD stacker is without a magazine.

If I did have an amp, it would be beside the stacker, correct?

Correct, amp is beside the CD changer in the boot, behind the LH CD changer access trim panel.

Do you have the Business RDS with the MID or with the IRIS?

MID = Multi-info display, a big dot-,matrix display with lots of soft-buttons below the display. shows radio, telephone, clock and onboard computer data

IRIS = dedicated radio control buttons, can show radio and clock only. No OBC (onbocard computer) data.

If you have the MID, does it illuminate and can you control and read the data from the OBC?

Does the MID self test show the MID working fine?

(press two outside MID buttons while switching ign on)

If MID is OK, and you have checked the fuses, then your next step is to exchange (or fix) the radio. Use the opportunity to get a single-slot CD player, or get a Professional RDS instead of the Busienss RDS model..

To fix the radio you need a clever electronics guy (like me) with a MID or some emulation software (so he can control the radio) and the knowledge of these radios. Hard to find in NZ...

PS: I am not in NZ any more...

Jochen

No MID. Looks exactly like this (without anything on the display of course)

http://bmw.e39.hu/radio/BusinessKas_IRISG1.jpg

Nobody in NZ seems to know about these units. BMWorkshop says $400 to have the whole thing sent away to Germany to get it repaired. They didn't check anything, just assumed it was broken.

Since I don't have a MID, are there any self-tests for IRIS?

Appreciate your help, by the way.

No MID. Looks exactly like this (without anything on the display of course)

http://bmw.e39.hu/radio/BusinessKas_IRISG1.jpg

Nobody in NZ seems to know about these units. BMWorkshop says $400 to have the whole thing sent away to Germany to get it repaired. They didn't check anything, just assumed it was broken.

Since I don't have a MID, are there any self-tests for IRIS?

Appreciate your help, by the way.

There were two types of Business RDS:

1-piece unit: the radio is the whole device

2-piece unit, radio (top) and IRIS (bottom)

On both, pushing the clock button will display the clock when the radio is turned off and ignition on. Does it? If not, it's a power problem.

To see if you have a 1-piece or a 2-pice: it can be difficult to tell until you remove the radio (very easy to remove). You should also check that the radio is plugged in, and that the fuse on the radio is OK (on radio connector at back of radio).

Also: you can tell if the radio is plugged in: do the controls illuminate when you turn the light switch on? If you have no illumination at all (check at night time!) then the radio may simply be unplugged.

I have a mate in Auckland who is clever enough to fix these, I need to ask him if he is interested first - he won't like me posting his contact details in a public forum.

Anyway, a 2nd hand working unit ex eBay Germany is a cheap fix. You can get them for less than 100 Euros (less than $200). Tape is cheaper than CD player.

From my experience, it will be a simple problem. power switch faulty, or power-supply regulator chip faulty (I've had these faults before)

As for your other question re CD changer magazine: it is a standard Alpine CD changer magazine. Go to a car stereo shop or a wreckers and get an Alpine magazine.

Edited by jochen

I can most definately see it is a 1-piece. The radio and tape deck are the same unit, and cannot be seperated.

The unit does not illuminate, and does not respond to having any buttons pressed, including clock.

There were two types of Business RDS:

From my experience, it will be a simple problem. power switch faulty, or power-supply regulator chip faulty (I've had these faults before)

If it is one of these faults, is there a high price for this fix? Would I be better to buy the unit off ebay? Also, if I were to buy the MID instead of IRIS on ebay would that simply be a plug and play solution or is there pre-wiring required?

Let me know if your mate is interested, would prefer that than BMWorkshop

Thanks!

I can most definately see it is a 1-piece. The radio and tape deck are the same unit, and cannot be seperated.

The join is soooo good you don't see it until IRIS/radio is removed.

The unit does not illuminate, and does not respond to having any buttons pressed, including clock.

Did you check the radio connector and the radio fuse?

If it is one of these faults, is there a high price for this fix? Would I be better to buy the unit off ebay?

How long is a piece of string? What if you get one of eBay for $20? What if my mate fixes it for less than $20? What if the one on eBay costs $200? What if my mate charges less than $200? What if.....<add more what-ifs here>

Also, if I were to buy the MID instead of IRIS on ebay would that simply be a plug and play solution or is there pre-wiring required?

Plug and play if you have IRIS. Must enable MID functionality with coding as well (simple)

If no IRIS, you must change radio, add MID cable, then enable.

Let me know if your mate is interested, would prefer that than BMWorkshop

I'll ask.

Edited by jochen