Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

NEED URGENT! AUTO GEARBOX 4 E46 318i

Hi guys as the title says, urgently after a gearbox for a auto e46 318i

Prefer Auckland Locations for pickup.

PLEASE HELP!!! RAY??? U got a spare one around?

Car wouldnt move every 2nd time I press on the accel pedal and when we took it apart this afternoon there was oil everywhere and bits of fine metal everywhere. No Idea why suddenly.

hmmm was going to say what ever you do dont drive on it as it sometimes can be salvaged with some fairly in expensive parts (obviously depending on what it is).

Most bits in a gear box induvidually dont cost too much .. there is just sh*t loads of those $100 - $200 parts that make up to be an expensive item. The less damage you do by turning all the metal through the box the better your chances are of it not costing 5-6 grand.

BMW recommend buying a new gearbox and I can actually see why ..it works out to be around about as cheap as having a full refurb done.

Ring around the wreckers to see if you can source one if not .. expect a 5-6k bill :(

When trying to buy second hand...be WARNED.....the gearbox part numbers must be exactly the same for it to work with the software in the vehicle, which cannot be changed. Its all intergrated on the can bus line and depends on what options the car comes with.

You will need to supply exact, accurate part numbers

Ring around the wreckers to see if you can source one if not .. expect a 5-6k bill :(

It this for a E46 318i Gearbox? 5-6k??? Really?

mine cost that for the 330i when it lost reverse, would imagine it would be similar.

Maybe cheaper to sell the car as it is for that price then...

Get some professional advise dude. Start with having a chat to glenn. Price up all of your options and make the choice from there.

This thread makes me a little weary of the dependency of e46 auto/step gearboxes ? Should i be worried, what exactly went wrong with yours hybrid?

Just get a full comprehensive mechanical warrenty and your fine. (you should do this anyways in the first 2 - 3 years of car ownership.

I lost reverse gear, basically because I was a noob and didn't wait for the reverse gears to engage and put my foot on the accelrator loading up the gear box. The earlier gearboxes drum had a weak design and eventually gave way. It was replaced with revised parts and all is well now.

When putting an e46 into reverse .. dont take you foot off the brake till its full engaged. My problem is I did alot of parking on ponsonby road and had traffic coming up behind me so I was trying to be too quick albeit I wasn't being violent with it but even still.

Hi mate ring Keith at Gearbox factroy in East tamaki.I had a problem with my nissan pluser car.Took it to my mechnic and was told to replace the gearbox but spoke to Keith and droped my car their today and they fixed the problem.Very nice Guy and his ph # is(09)2748340/2733120/2739654/2746602.Try talking to him.

Black bmw