Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

XP Windows Hiberbnate Q?

I have just reinstalled windows XP service pack 3 and net updated. and my hilbernate function has gone.

can i get this back? No more hibernate tabs in the power options menu.

any help thanks Tim.

I know this isnt going to help mate, but Ive just done SP3 and I still have the hibernate tab at the end and am having no problems.

Have you tried google?

Make sure that all of the drivers that control your computers power management have been loaded. Also any mainboard and chipset specific drivers. SP3 by itself should not be the cause of the problem. However, did you check after installing WinXP that you had the Hibernate Tab available before installing SP3?

Edited by ducatiss

The 1st time sp3 was loaded on, the laptop would not turn off(power down) after clicking either of the hibernate/SD/restart options. I reloaded sp3, thinking i would solve my power off issue, which it did, now i dont have hiberate but it turns off. The hiberate/standby option was there first time it was loaded on.

You can just see the 'standby' but is unclickable.

>I have read on the comp forums that this is unfixable from some at the moment until a patch comes up.

Edited by bumpstop325

This won't help mate but dont install SP3 (yet) - especially on a laptop. According to ZDnet SP3 it is still having issues though Micro$oft are being very quiet about it.

Most people (including a large company I contract to) are having huge problems with the update from a month (or further) back.

Hibernation, powersettings, drivers, video cards etc etc are still issues - mainly hardware driver vs Microsoft requirements it would seem.

Just gone back to sp2. No change. Now i have noticed i dont have any monitor controllors. I cant split screen my desktop. Fark this sux. Cant change monitors now. :(

May or may not work. Try using system resore to restore back to a much earlier point - you wont loose personal data but maybe any programs you may have installed recently. Sometimes it works, most times not but worth a crack. Unfortunatly you cannot successfully uninstall SP3

EDIT: Set a current restore point before you do this, just so you can get back to where you came from if it all turns to custard.

Edited by advantex

No restore point. My screen is jerky when scrolling. Is this due to the lack of drivers?

I cant get the driver recovery dvd going. any suggestions?

Jerky mouse/ screen usually a sign of processor going hard out perhaps doing unnecessary stuff in the background. Could be graphics driver problem also. Could be both. Graphics drivers have been know to prevent standby and hibernation in the past, though rare these days. Have never found a case where the option would not attempt to work when you clicked it though. Usually tries to work and fails or works but you cant get back again.

Can work through it probably, just be prepared to do complete reinstall if needs be. Back up your personal and important data asap. Don't forget to look through \Program Files as many programs store stuff there also (templates etc) and don't forget to back up your outlook or email folders in case you got important stuff there.

Try fix display first:

Get the properties of my computer (usually right click over the icon or word). It will display a tabbed dialogue box, one of the tabs is labelled hardware - go to that one second, go to System Restore make sure the the tick box is empty. Click Apply if you change anything then go to the hardware tab.

A button perhaps (I don't know your setup type) called device manager, click that. A list box opens like an explorer view, click the plus sign next to Display Adaptors and see what your graphics processing device is - e.g. mine says NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT.

While in here, click on Monitors and make sure you have something suitable according to your display. Default monitor is usually OK in most machines. Also, right click over a blank part of your monitor and look at the properties. Go to Advanced and make sure you have a suitable resolution for your monitor ie. around 12~14" usually 600x800 resolution, 13~15" usually 768x1024, 17~20" usually 1024x1280 or something similar (depends if letterbox or widescreen).

Frequency is usually 60 or 75Hz (sometimes 50).

Go find the website of your graphics vendor (www.nvidia.com, www.ati.com etc). Look for the latest driver for your graphics, download it to a know location eg MyDocuments\Software\Graphics or whatever (make it up as you go) and save it.

Shut down and restart before you continue (activates restore point). When restarted, double click the downloaded file it to install. Ignore all Micro$oft warnings, restart your computer once more when finished just to make sure everything gells into place correctly.

Hopefully this fixes the jerky screen/ mouse reactions.

My experience on various different computers is that the jerkiness when scrolling is always the graphics drivers. Install the correct graphics driver and you'll be sweet.

The first two graphics drivers, I loaded on, were the wrong ones. Hence causing my problems. Each time i reformatted, me thinking that SP3 did not reinstall the correct driver properly or something. What a mission. My 6yo craptop lives for another while thou.

Almost started hitting things, but had a chilaxative for a few hours, stopping before it got nasty. Help came via the Driver DVD label on it www.hp.com/support and had it done from there. The system restore Driver recovery DVD, I had for some reason did not want to run. All my problems are now gone, and most likely have a few more grey hairs somewhere.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers Tim

To enable Hibernation...

Control Panel -> Power -> Hibernate -> Enable Hibernate.

I always disable smooth scroll and fade in/out to improve speed and stability. Those are just eye-candy really.