Sign in to follow this  
David@globemarketing.co.nz

Multi Function controls - 2002 E46

Hi there

Am looking for the multi function controls for my 2002 E46 330i. Am thinking its the standard one but please advise if this is not enough info.

Am just after the the control units as I have all the necessary parts for the wheel, including the air bag.

Thanks

Dave

Let me no when you have diagnosed the problem. Have the parts from a 2001 330ci

Regards Ray

My old write up may help with this...

As ray said, hell have some of the parts but here is the list I got to make it all work on mine

Hey ya,

The kit you need to do this is:

e46 MF Steering Retro fit kit

65 71 0 021 159

This kit is made up of the following:

Part number Description Supplement Quantity

01 29 0 017 969 Stick-on label EBA-AUFKL. GELB 1

12 52 7 510 671 Jack mlk 0,25-0,5 MM?/AG 1

61 12 0 016 012 Retrofit cable set, speed control 1

61 13 0 005 201 Bushing contact 0,2-0,5 MM? 1

61 13 1 367 599 Cable strap L=200MM/B=3,6MM 10

61 13 1 379 833 Shrinking hose 1

61 13 8 353 746 Cable connector 0.2-0.5 MM? 1

61 31 6 949 754 Cover cap,sports strng whl multifunction 1

61 31 8 386 947 Connecting line, steering wheel 1

01 29 0 023 076 Installation instructions 1

I managed to come into a e39/e46 MF steering wheel and air bag unit for about $500 so that was the main expense out of the road.

If your have/buy the steering wheel (ebay) and airbag unit (ebay) to complete the conversion you only need the following parts

Part number Description Supplement Quantity

12 52 7 510 671 Jack mlk 0,25-0,5 MM?/AG 1 - For M47 Engine e46 only not needed for m54bxx

61 12 0 016 012 Retrofit cable set, speed control 1

61 13 8 353 746 Cable connector 0.2-0.5 MM? 1

61 31 8 386 947 Connecting line, steering wheel 1 - Only needed if this didnt come with the steering wheel

01 29 0 023 076 Installation instructions 1 - Not needed :) Will upload these later

I'm getting the Walnut horribleness painted matt black to match the plastic surrounding controller buttons. Im told it will look pretty close :)

Here are the pictures of everything.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For cruise control, you e46 DME already comes with it built in as standard and all you need is the MF steering wheel to activate it.

Took about 3 hours as we had to translate / guess swedish instructions. But brendon and I now think we can knock it out in about 30-45mins.

I had some fun testing out cruise control up towards silverdale this afternoon, I spotted a fellow bimmersporter with a silver e36 with black / polished dish wheels. nice ride who ever it was ...

This install will fit both e39 and e46 and I'm 99% sure x5 as well :)

e46 LCM computer and steering pulled apart. Routing the retro-fit speed control loom.

Posted Image

DME speed control wiring.

Posted Image

Fuse box behind the glove box, this is where we enter the engine bay.

Posted Image

More shots of the DME wiring in the engine bay.

Posted Image

Finished, you can also see how the painting of the walnut cover piece turned out. :) factory black ftw :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Testing out the cruise control system, nnote the new green light that shows up on the dash to tell you the system is active.

Posted Image

Volume control test :)

Posted Image

Radio station / ipod controls

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the write up I did on it all.

Here are some guides I could find on the net. (in swedish but it has some pictures)

http://www.autopower.se/mekartips/mekartips.asp?dokid=111

have fun ... tell us how it goes :)

I'm thinking of getting this for my car. I have an M3 wheel which has all the buttons but they are not connected, the paddle shifts are hooked up though.

In a previous thread I read that you could link up the stereo controls with the missing cables but to have cruise control you need the control modules installed as well.

Is this correct? My car didn't have MFW as standard.

Cheers

I'm thinking of getting this for my car. I have an M3 wheel which has all the buttons but they are not connected, the paddle shifts are hooked up though.

In a previous thread I read that you could link up the stereo controls with the missing cables but to have cruise control you need the control modules installed as well.

Is this correct? My car didn't have MFW as standard.

Cheers

Hey,

The answer is i dont know. For me it was easy as my car already had the controls, so it was the control units that were not working. For a conversion such as yours I suggest that you either ask Hybrid directly if he can help, or put up a new topic and explain your situation. People on here are incredibly helpful and as you can see from previous threads, often have the answers.

All the best

Dave

A good result Dave. Parts sourced from this:

Asian gentleman tried a shortcut under a median barrier in spagetti junction at 140 k.

Pulled free with a small tap to his nose.

post-1470-1216864224_thumb.jpg

post-1470-1216864235_thumb.jpg

Regards Ray

0212HELLBM

no probs...

yeah sorry could find the instructions, I've put them away in one of those places where I know I wont loose them if you know what I mean.

Just to make it clear to everyone. Every e46 has 'cruise control' and the ability to control every button that comes with a MF steering wheel. No modules or control devices are needed.. Everything is either already in the DME / LCM or your radio.

The steering wheel just sends ibus commands and the appropriate module reads it.