Sign in to follow this  
central3

330 weeps

I have an 03 330 motorsport which I purchased a month ago. I've beed busy cleaning and polishing ever since and now I'm in the middle of a full on engine service. I've found signs of an oil leak which I need some help with. The air cond compressor has oil on the top of it and I can feel oil around the underside of the vanos area. The leak may have been an old one as there's no "free" oil around - I don't think so though. I pulled the under body engine covers off (both the plastic and alloy one's) - there's no sign of oil down there or on the bottom end of the engine. I'm thnking maybe a cam cover gasket or a seal around the vanos unit. The guy who sold it to me commented that the air cond compressor shaft seal can weep a bit and said that sometimes a service technician will add oil (sounds a bit dodgy to me). Any one know of any such problems?

Are you sure it's not spillage from when the oil filter was changed ??

Clean off and check after a couple of days.

Could be:

Camshaft position sensor "O" ring

Vanos hose or fittings

Broken or cracked breather hose

Or if its further down:

Oil pressure switch

Oil temp switch

Oil filter remote housing gasket

BMW dealer says its a rocker cover gasket - $255 or do it myself for about $60. No brainer - its going into the experts on Friday,