Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

E30 325i running on 5 cylinders on start up.

If I leave my car sitting for more than 2 days. It starts fine but sometimes runs on 5 cylinders for the first couple of minutes.

If I use it everyday it always runs on 6 on startup as it should.

It is parked in a garage so shouldn't be moisture or anything.

I haven't started looking for the problem yet. But it doesn't appear to have a blown headgasket, ie not losing oil or water or water in the oil and vice versa.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sorry to bring up an old post!

Have replaced dizzy cap and rotor. The old one looked shot so I thought I had found the problem.

But lately it has been startiing on 5 cylinders again. After figuring out which one is not firing (No 4) I have pulled the plug which was fouled. Not oily but black carbon on it. Cleaned it up and put it back in and it runs fine.

The car usaully runs a bit rough when first started but comes right when warm.

Anyone else had this?

E30 325i 1989

Sorry to bring up an old post!

Have replaced dizzy cap and rotor. The old one looked shot so I thought I had found the problem.

But lately it has been startiing on 5 cylinders again. After figuring out which one is not firing (No 4) I have pulled the plug which was fouled. Not oily but black carbon on it. Cleaned it up and put it back in and it runs fine.

The car usaully runs a bit rough when first started but comes right when warm.

Anyone else had this?

E30 325i 1989

Have you checked valve clearances?? You might not have correct valve clearances. If not..I would do that and see if there is any change to the way the car runs

Edited by *Glenn*

valve guide seal or valve guides worn . allowing oil to run down into the combustion chamber

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Guest FrantiC

Leaky injector on #4 ? Could be flooding (leaking fuel into the cylinder when the cars sitting) and would cause the fouling on that plug.

Edited by FrantiC

Thanks for the replies.

The car is at the garage (BMW service centre) having the valve clearances set, new plugs and a general look over and scan.

Hopefully this finds something.