Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Cylinder head issue e28 528i

Hi Guys

i have just had my head machined and strightened after a issue i had, i put it on this w.e and after trying to turn the car over, i have noticed it is leaking round the bottom of the cylinder head round each cylinder,

i have torqued to 60nm then angle tighted to 33degress

please dont say i have done anything wrong, this w.e i am going to tighten to 80nm and do a compression test

ANY HELP PELASE

You have done something wrong.......sorry

I hope you have used a new gasket and its on the right way, where did you get your specifications from ??

Edited by botanymotorworx

Ive read both the specs out off haynes and bently books, haynes states torque to 60 then 33 dregree angle turn then 33 degree angle turn once hot,

But i followed instructions that came with arp bolts Torque to 30nm, 60nm - undo 90 degrees , tighten to 60nm then 33 degreee angle tighten and once hot angle tighten again

Yep gasket was tight fit but fitted right and all went on ok,

any ideas, do you reakon its not on enough and please dont say i stuffed it up

Sorry Kym, but my Bentley says that for the M30 engine, you tighten to 60nm, wait 20 mins then tighten to 80nm, then run till hot, 25 mins about and tighten another 35 degrees. I'd suggest you take it all apart and check it before you go any further. Something is wrong, it definately shouldn't leak like that. You sure you weren't reading the specs for the 528e?

Thanks for that i will def give that a try this w.e ill will take off and check then re tighten and do a compression test before anything,

yea those settings were for engines after 87 thats why i tried to 60nm but ill go with what you say quicksilver im sure you got more experince than me with e28's

Managed to get it working after

taking the head off twice and putting it back on as the first compression test came up with less than 100psi

so re-did head and bolts now starts fine with abit a acceleration for air lolz

once you have tourqued the bolts arent they used...and they "stretch"??

yea i think so but they seemed to go in easier this time, but im def going to upgrade to studs for my 3.5 engine so much less hastle