Sign in to follow this  
JiB

Noisy rear brakes

We have a PFL E46 328i sedan. A family friend replaced the rear brakes as a favour for dad, but now they're hideously noisy at all speeds.

They sound like race brakes basically, kind of a deep squealing. Any pointers to a solution before I start ferreting around in there? I'm guessing there is an anti-squeal shim of some sort that is missing..

I don't have a garage to work in at the moment so it's fairly unpleasant weather to try and figure out what is wrong. So any help would be greatly appreciated before I start.

Cheers!

We have a PFL E46 328i sedan. A family friend replaced the rear brakes as a favour for dad, but now they're hideously noisy at all speeds.

They sound like race brakes basically, kind of a deep squealing. Any pointers to a solution before I start ferreting around in there? I'm guessing there is an anti-squeal shim of some sort that is missing..

I don't have a garage to work in at the moment so it's fairly unpleasant weather to try and figure out what is wrong. So any help would be greatly appreciated before I start.

Cheers!

They dont have shims. Either the job has not been done properly, or its the aftermarket pads they used. Did they machine the rotors and fit genuine pads ???

I'm not sure what has been done. Will ask. I'm hoping the rotors have been machined. I thought that was common practice.

Would unmachined rotors and aftermarket pads cause such noise?

Thanks for the help. I would take it to you Glenn, but Botany is a long way from the shore. :(

Edited by JiB

The rear calipers (like the fronts) have an anti rattle clip that clips onto the outter face of the sliding calipers - looks like this installed:

Posted Image

- if that's missing the pads usually rattle not squeal though.

Some people put anti squeal grease on the back of the pads, but I believe majority of BMW brake pads are a dry fit with no grease. I've fitted aggressive pads to cars with both methods and it's made bugger all difference.

If the discs aren't machined you'd usually hear a rattle or rumbling sound (being on the rear wheel you won't feel the vibration).

I'd put my guess on incorrectly fitted pads or just general cheap crappy pads for making those sort of noise.

Another possibility is incorrectly adjusted hand brake shoe .. those can cause a squeal ... or a stone stuck in between the rotor and the dust shield ...

Edited by M3_Power

check your rotors for a lip on the edge, if there is one, have it shimmed

Get them put in with the pad material against the disc not the backing plate??

I have done this... secret shame. (not on my bmw though) :S