Sign in to follow this  
drewnz

E36 weird Vibration

My E36 328i Auto when Accelerating away from a standing start and just as it changes into the next gear I get this weird vibration in the back of the car almost like driving over small corrugations. If i accelerate harder it soon disappears. Its seems to be at a certain speed as opposed to load/torque. Has anyone encountered this before? I’m thinking the worst right now like 1/transmission 2/Diff can anyone shed any light on this weirdness. If im going up a hill and hold it at the same speed I can get the vibration happening continously.

Many thanks

Drew

I'm not sure what its called but in e30's the same symptoms can mean a worn out/broken driveshaft boot or something.

not sure about ur car but if it was a e46 320d facelift i would tell u forsure it was the gearbox especially when cruising-was the oil change recently?did they put in the right g/box oil

Sounds a bit like a driveshaft problem to me, could be worn driveshaft centre bearing or flex disc, or the actually shaft its self

I reckon it's the dreaded Jatco gearbox problem!

When your car is cold is the change from first to second quite jerky? Does the vibration occur when the car changes into second at around 20-40 km/h? Do these problems become less prominent once the car is up to the proper operating temperature?

If so, you have the same problem as me. The "Jatco Jerk". It's common on Jap import cars because they use a different transmission to the german assembled cars. To fix the problem usually requires a gearbox rebuild or replacement. Quite costly.

Having said that, unless you start to get "flaring" between gears (where the revs rise before the car engages the next gear) it's more of an annoyance than a huge problem as the gearbox will still continue to work.

I now have flaring between second and third. So I'm going to get my gearbox fixed. Thankfully I have a mechanical warranty which covers the drivetrain. However I've heard figures like $2-3k thrown about for approximate replacement/rebuild costs.

EDIT: $3k is also the approximate cost of a manual gearbox conversion. So do that instead!

Edited by gannetboy

Oh mate, don’t say that....bugger. It certainly does it around the 20-40 kmph mark just as it changes into second. Only momentarily, and then goes away once you get to about 45kmph.

Anyone know of someone good in Auckland that could take it for a drive and give some suggestions as to what it is.

Cheers

Drew

Oh mate, don’t say that....bugger. It certainly does it around the 20-40 kmph mark just as it changes into second. Only momentarily, and then goes away once you get to about 45kmph.

Anyone know of someone good in Auckland that could take it for a drive and give some suggestions as to what it is.

Cheers

Drew

Glen @ Botany Motor Worx would no doubt be happy to take a look at it for you, and comes highly recommended by many of the people on this forum.

in the gearbox there is a double-piston in the valve body that normally breaks in half causing the pressure difference thus causing harsh gearchange that i have found the later boxes have a modified piston-i think some older fords also use the same gearbox