Sign in to follow this  
mackt

Original Purchase Price?

What exactly would be the difference between brand new and 20 000km? (other than the price tag & odometer)?

Its brand new as in never been driven, brand spankers…Its like when you open the box to your new running shoes and slip them on, they smell and feel great, there is not one mark on them and no other person has had the privilege of running them in before you.

Its brand new as in never been driven, brand spankers…Its like when you open the box to your new running shoes and slip them on, they smell and feel great, there is not one mark on them and no other person has had the privilege of running them in before you.

I'd like to own at least one car 'brand new' like this in my life. If you have that much money to throw away on a new car, chances are you don't give a hoot about depreciation.

1989 316i 2dr. Manual was $39,850 plus on road costs.

1989 316i 4dr. Manual was $41,850 plus on road costs.

1989 318i 4dr. Auto was $45,850 plus on road costs.

And then of course there are the extras that you can order when you first purchase the car.

Sweet thanks.

It's great having people buying these cars so they work their way down the food chain.

I've bought a couple of new cars (Nissan 200sx and a SP23 Mazda3) it is very nice having that new car smell and spec'd out how you want... I guess you just ignore the depreciation! I guess if it's a problem you keep the car for longer so the pain isn't so bad.

I'm loving liberating Auckland cars and bringing them down south to spend the rest of their lives on Southern roads :D

That's why there is NO money in cars, for 157k in 96 you could have bought 2 x 1brm b/t flats, today they would be worth 400k.Whats more, you would have bought the flats with a small deposit & borrowed the rest.Say the deposit was 50k of your own money, you would have turned that 50k into 400k, 350k profit, tax free.Need i say more.

Back in 1989 when i was buying new/ish, E34 525i 100k, 12mths old 85k, new 535ise 135k, sport (is) was maybe 10k more?

so our cars would have been 145 boris???.

My wife tells me off for hoarding my motoring magazines. Nicely stacked away in the garage sorted by publication and in chronological order. I know - anal (I'm an accountant, what do you expect?). Hate to think what I've spent over the last 25 years or so.

My excuse is "I'll probably need to look something up one day."

Well my dear, "one day" has arrived - it's TODAY.

I've found the following mags with road tests of the E39 540, a car that many motoring writers at the time called the world's best saloon car of that era.

Motor, July 2000 issue - 4 car comparison - actually it bought off Trade Me when I was researching buying my E39 540

BMW 540i Exec (A$150,900)

Audi A6 4.2 quattro (A$135,400)

Merc E340 Avantgarde (A$153,900)

Jag S type 4.0 (A$115,500)

They chose the Audi being better value for money

NZ Autocar March 1998 issue - 2 car comparison

BMW 540i SE (NZ$166,000)

Merc E430 Avantgarde (NZ$175,000)

They choose the Merc by a nose.

... now where's that Fast Lane with the E30 M3 Evo test ???

Mike

My wife tells me off for hoarding my motoring magazines. Nicely stacked away in the garage sorted by publication and in chronological order. I know - anal (I'm an accountant, what do you expect?). Hate to think what I've spent over the last 25 years or so.

Thats great info, well worth having those in the garage all that time :D

Interesting topic . I hate to boast but i have the original receipt for my NZ NEw E32 750IL 1989 and the first owner paid $234,000.00 for it with no w traction control!!

Wow now thats nearly a house!!!!

Interesting topic . I hate to boast but i have the original receipt for my NZ NEw E32 750IL 1989 and the first owner paid $234,000.00 for it with no w traction control!!

in 1989 that would be more than two houses...

I recently purchased a 1993 750iL for $2000. If the original purcahse price was in the order of $234000, that's some depreciation. The car runs like a dream & while not mint it is a real event to drive. 187000 km's with plenty more to go.

Cheers

in 1989 that would be more than two houses...

More than two 'average' Auckland houses. Which probably means a mansion in a plush suburb back then!

I've found the following mags with road tests of the E39 540, a car that many motoring writers at the time called the world's best saloon car of that era.

Motor, July 2000 issue - 4 car comparison - actually it bought off Trade Me when I was researching buying my E39 540

BMW 540i Exec (A$150,900)

Audi A6 4.2 quattro (A$135,400)

Merc E340 Avantgarde (A$153,900)

Jag S type 4.0 (A$115,500)

They chose the Audi being better value for money

NZ Autocar March 1998 issue - 2 car comparison

BMW 540i SE (NZ$166,000)

Merc E430 Avantgarde (NZ$175,000)

They choose the Merc by a nose.

... now where's that Fast Lane with the E30 M3 Evo test ???

Mike

Any idea what the 2001 330ci was worth new? If I remember correctly, they used to include a list of all current cars list prices in the back of the mag.

Any idea what the 2001 330ci was worth new? If I remember correctly, they used to include a list of all current cars list prices in the back of the mag.

I'm guessing around the $130,000 mark?