Sign in to follow this  
Cale

M42 -> M40 E30

Hey Peeps,

Wondering what would be involved in putting an M42B18 into a ex-M40B18 E30? Would everything need to be changed i.e. ECU etc.? Does a Getrag 240 bolt up to a M42?

If it is easy enough (to get hold of engine, aswell as transplant), it would be 18kW more than the M40 and have similiar fuel consumption. And I have never seen a 318iS Touring.

Chur

you'd need to change the whole lot incl ecu and loom, and do the manual conversion thing, M40 box don't fit sorry.

Hey Peeps,

Wondering what would be involved in putting an M42B18 into a ex-M40B18 E30? Would everything need to be changed i.e. ECU etc.? Does a Getrag 240 bolt up to a M42?

If it is easy enough (to get hold of engine, aswell as transplant), it would be 18kW more than the M40 and have similiar fuel consumption. And I have never seen a 318iS Touring.

Chur

i have a good donar engine .loom , ecu etc .

I'd PM Gus - he's just done the conversion to his 316i Touring in the UK.

Definately talk to Gus, he mentioned that its a fairly straight forward swap! Shouldn't be too difficult!

Cheers guys, not going to anything too soon as I don't have the resources or time ATM.

Getrag 240 from a M40 318 will not fit. Not so certain on the 240 from a M20 motor, maybe someone else knows?

Andrew had a 260 box fitted to the 318iS turbo a while back, not sure if this helps.

Is that the one he got cut and rewelded?

all m20 m50 m40 boxes swap around the difference is the angle that the motor sits on depending on the chasis .

but they all have the same bellhousing size .

i dont see why the m40 240 wont fit, as the m42 240 fits on the m40. they have slightly different driveshaft lengths.

andys 260 is cut and re-welded. i got a 6spd for it instead