Sign in to follow this  
b-buzzin

IDLE CONTROL VALVE

Just wondering if my 320 is capable of running with out a idle control valve, cause im pritty sure mine doesnt have one!

e36 ? or what..

my e36 the idle control valve is pretty sh*t.. prolly need a new one

guy i work with (mechanic workshop) said to clean it out.. might have lotsa carbon in it..

didnt work for me.. you could try it though.. with some spirits or the like

i guess it is capable of running without.. but if they revs dropped too low the engine could stall

or maybe if you turned the AC on while turning a corner and braking.. the revs could drop low enough to stall xD

my bet would be you have one tho

never really had much luck with mine you can screw it right closed, but you will need to up your idle speed so you dont stall,

with mine i can adjust it either way and doesnt really affect it, but yea try cleaning it out and see if that works, if not you could run a bypass valve to let a certian ammount of air in all the time

never really had much luck with mine you can screw it right closed, but you will need to up your idle speed so you dont stall,

with mine i can adjust it either way and doesnt really affect it, but yea try cleaning it out and see if that works, if not you could run a bypass valve to let a certian ammount of air in all the time

um its a e30 i think

Hay Bro

goto real oem and have a look - the adjuster is one of the holes on the air flow meter that noramally has a alan key looking hole, mines back right corner when you looking down at it

it will have a adjuster try adjusting it,

Hay Bro

goto real oem and have a look - the adjuster is one of the holes on the air flow meter that noramally has a alan key looking hole, mines back right corner when you looking down at it

it will have a adjuster try adjusting it,

No its not. You are thinking of the airflow meter whereas B-Buzzin is talking about the idle control valve. Two totally different parts!

When asking for information or help. It would help us help you if you give more information about the car you have got. ie: Model, year, chassis #. Otherwise you'll get too much missinformation. For those who dont know the correct answer to any question... why do you bother posting ???

PLEASE READ THIS

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=15800

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=15800

Edited by botanymotorworx

For those who dont know the correct answer to any question... why do you bother posting ???

Because that is the nature of public forums. Take a look at any public forum on cars (especially those in the U.S) and you see a bewildering array of answers. Yes, some of those will be wrong, but most are made by well meaning people trying to help others. Most people who post an "answer" have a reasonable belief that they have the correct answer. We are very lucky to have people such as yourself who do know the answer and are willing to contribute your time to this forum. Looking back I think that the answer I gave was also quite correct given the limited information available.

Because that is the nature of public forums. Take a look at any public forum on cars (especially those in the U.S) and you see a bewildering array of answers. Yes, some of those will be wrong, but most are made by well meaning people trying to help others. Most people who post an "answer" have a reasonable belief that they have the correct answer. We are very lucky to have people such as yourself who do know the answer and are willing to contribute your time to this forum. Looking back I think that the answer I gave was also quite correct given the limited information available.

True... my criticism was not aimed at you... sorry for the missunderstanding though if thats how you took it.

if not you could run a bypass valve to let a certian ammount of air in all the time

strangely enough that is the function of the idle control valve

True... my criticism was not aimed at you... sorry for the missunderstanding though if thats how you took it.

Not at all Glenn - I agree with you to a point - however when comparing bimmersport with some of the overseas forums, most advice offered here is of reasonable quality though there are some exceptions. I think it's important for members, especially newer ones, to realise that unless they are speaking directly to someone with a lot of experience with BMW cars, to canvass a range of opinion before deciding on a course of action. Im not sure what the ultimate answer is - on the one hand as you say, we don't want incorrect information being posted as fact, and on the other, it is still worthwhile encouraging all members to contribute as even some of the newer members have experience with a particular issue which they have successfully resolved.

Edited by ducatiss

Well .... I agree with Glenn.

We're also no closer to knowing which idle valve (if thats even the problem) is missing/broken.

To the original poster ... which year (pre face lift or facelift e30), and what are the symptoms... low idle when cold? When warm? Both?

For those who dont know the correct answer to any question... why do you bother posting ???

I said this because there are so many guys answering questions that dont even know what end of a spanner to hold.

They may be trying to be helpful, however alot of the information they offer is very incorrect or off subject.

If a person is asking a question about there E46, why bother answering " my E30 did that" or "my Toyota did that "

Quite a few offering advise are the same people asking me absolutely stupid questions.

If you really dont know the correct solution or answer, dont post, watch & learn instead. I do that, I dont know every friggen thing. And I have learnt alot in here off some very knowledgeable people. We have some great people in here with alot to offer.

End of rant :D

Glenn