Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

M3 Fell through :(

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=170094410

I know it has high k's but I bought a BA XR6 from this person a while back which I sold to my brother inlaw & it's still going strong & as previously the car was in mint as new condition & from the pics this one looks just as good!

Has high k's as above, but it comes with a 1 year bumper to bumper, it's a Jappa ofcourse and I got it for even less than the asking price. Flying up on Friday to drive it back. Look at the link before it dissapears which he's advised will be tomorrow.

Plan of attack is, I fly up first thing Friday, drive down to wellington, jump on the ferry and then sleep at picton/blenheim. Then all the way back to Dunedin first thing in the morning :( Has a 6 stacker so that should keep me company on the way back down.

Had a Touareg and a few other high end 4x4's but always wanted a X5 of my own, actually have one in the driveway at the moment I'm trying to sell on behalf & they're fantastic!

Unlucky about the M3.

At least you got another Bimmer though!! Looks like a nice X5 at a good price too.

Unlucky about the M3.

At least you got another Bimmer though!! Looks like a nice X5 at a good price too.

Believe it or not I'm not sorry about the M3, because I got this a few grand less than the asking price. The cheapest similar milage X5 on TM is a dog in comparison with the 3.0 engine! & it's 30k!

Hey - I'm not shy, so I'll say it in case no-one else does.

WTF? That's not:

a) fun to drive;

b ) fun to look at; or

c) good on gas.

How do you get from M3 ---> SUV. They are polar opposites.

(says the guy with a 4 door M3, LOL - I am confused).

Edited by CamB

Hey - I'm not shy, so I'll say it in case no-one else does.

WTF? That's not:

a) fun to drive;

b ) fun to look at; or

c) good on gas.

How do you get from M3 ---> SUV. They are polar opposites.

(says the guy with a 4 door M3, LOL - I am confused).

Both cars are great in my opinion, the X5 was an exceptional price.

Just to add, I bought the car because I wanted it & I think the X5 is also a great looking vehicle, I like the M3's & most BMW's

/struggles to see your point...

Edited by Deeveus525i

I think we're both struggling to see each other's point!

I'm sure the X5 is a great car, for an SUV. An SUV comes with a set of compromises which are different than the compromises associated with an M3.

A swing from considering an M3 to buying an X5 is HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE. I have no idea how both cars could meet your (your friend's?) criteria:

Friend of mine is after something V8 & european, or aleast something quick for the money. He has a company car already so it will be purely a weekend driver so practicality isn't an issue.

HELP!!!!

M3, M5 or perhaps X5??? Or atleast M's ?

Edited by CamB

QUOTE (Deeveus525i @ Aug 10 2008, 08:55 PM)

We've bought a E46 BMW M3, however we havn't got round to payment yet, so was just wondering if there was anything to look for on the car. Its an 2003 done 70km, SMG transmission, , work history involves a new alternator, front discs, pads e.t.c.

Can anyone in the know give me a heads up of what to look for with the vehicle?

QUOTE (Deeveus525i @ Aug 12 2008, 07:04 PM)

Friend of mine is after something V8 & european, or aleast something quick for the money. He has a company car already so it will be purely a weekend driver so practicality isn't an issue.

HELP!!!!

M3, M5 or perhaps X5??? Or atleast M's ?

So it wasn’t for a friend…. Hence my Questioning.

Sorry about the X5.

Hahaha!

I think you's both really need to pay attention to what was originally said.

I MYSELF was purchasing the E46 M3 - hence this post, the deal fell through

A FRIEND of mine was buying another car for himself in which I am still helping them with

That's my point :)

Riiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhtttttt. Now I got it.

I guess you could take the X5 to the track, although lets face it - it's best suited to towing a race car there ;)

I guess you could take the X5 to the track, although lets face it - it's best suited to towing a race car there ;)

Your on to it, I've also got a ZX twin turbo which goes well for an oldie, good nick, so I guess I can tow it there with the X5, pulling up looking like a drug dealer :)

gee get over it..not everyone considers M3's to be the pinnacle of BMW ownership.In fact the only time i have been in an (E36) M3 I thought it was a heap of shite...(albeit a very nice sound track)

In fact the only time i have been in an (E36) M3 I thought it was a heap of shite...

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :unsure:

I think those who know me here will remember that I've had about 5 cars this year alone, I like most euro cars & will own a M3 one day, but at that stage, the deal wasn't right & it never went through. I'm an opportunist & the X5 was bought for just over 20k & that is a superb price for such a vehicle!

20k for an X5 is bloody good!

gee get over it..not everyone considers M3's to be the pinnacle of BMW ownership.In fact the only time i have been in an (E36) M3 I thought it was a heap of shite...(albeit a very nice sound track)

Who said anything about it needing to be an M3? I'm just saying it needs to not be an SUV if you wanna go to the track.

Preferably not an Auto too. Or weigh 2 tonnes.

E36 M3's are a FAST heap of shite with a good soundtrack, an LSD and no driver aids (except ABS) - this means they're quite good to drive. They're most certainly not the only game in town (a bit heavy for a start).

Edited by CamB

X5 standard does the 0-100 sprint in just over 7 seconds & on to a top speed of 130mph, it aint slow in my book.

Not arguing with straight line speed :D V8 = good too.

I don't think CamB is trying to say that M3 > X5. But I think it's more a case that the X5 isn't something generally seen as fun/quick/etc.

And people failed to see the each other's point because of the confusion of who wanted the fun/quick car.

I think Cam's M3 is a characterless tin can. And he knows I think this and has no problem with it because for the most part he agrees. He is probably the least likely participant in M3 fanboism to be honest. But it is colossally fast for a NA 3.2, right up there with a modded Z32 deeveeus.

Back on topic: Tell us more about the X5 when you get it! :D Have been driven around in one a fair bit...albeit only the 3.0L but with leather and ALL the options...they are VAST inside and hugely comfortable, and don't seem to want to topple over everywhere unlike most other SUV's. I'm guessing the 4.4 is a fair bit quicker, the 3.0L had buckets of torque but was by no means quick...at all.

EDIT: I was too slow typing this. Have been beaten to the point already. Ignore me.

Edited by JiB

I think Cam's M3 is a characterless tin can.

Ouch! But kinda true. I mean it has 4 doors FFS.

I think a shorter diff, lighter flywheel and 100kg diet would be the ticket ...

I do see X5 and M3 having different purposes. That is all.

Yep, I totally agree.

X5 has the TV which apparently works, sat nav which apparently works, colour is saphire black with black leather interior, 3 memory heated seats, tinted rear windows, 6 stacker, climate dual a/c, sunroof, sportpac & the 19" alloys.

Looks bloody good to be brutally honest! But ofcourse I would say that :)

Will post pics when I get it home on Saturday. Fly up to Auckland tomorrow at 6:50am FFS, arrive at 9:30am pick it up there, sign the sale & purchase & I'm off to the ferry to make it in time for the 7:30pm sailing. Staying in blenheim tomorrow night and then up first thing that next morning all the way thru to Dunedin.

You have had quite a few cars recently! Have you lost much on them? Seems like a faltering taste can be an expensive habit!

I chop and change, but only do so when I know I won't lose any money.

does seem v odd to buy it just because its "cheap" after considering an m3. it's only at X5, its not like their special

Wow, what a response. I thought it was his own decision what he buys with his own money.

Wow, what a response. I thought it was his own decision what he buys with his own money.

I actually couldn't have put it better myself.

All this thread was about was & what this whole site was about was sharing with the other BMW owners the BMW that was purchased & for a little discussion. Not to hang sh*t on me for going for a car certain people in their own opinions didn't like or because it was different from the car I was in pursuit of originally.

Best this tread was locked imo.

Obviously, gone are the days of discussion of a good BMW made 4x4. There's more to life than M3's & going full speed 100% of the time, I'm only 26 & have plenty of time <_<

Edited by Deeveus525i

You have had quite a few cars recently! Have you lost much on them? Seems like a faltering taste can be an expensive habit!

I chop and change, but only do so when I know I won't lose any money.

Aint lost a dime :) Made money, its about buying them right otherwise the wife wouldn't let me do it and/or I'd be bankrupt lol :):):)

Edited by Deeveus525i

I don't think people were purposely poking sh*t your way.

The M3 and the X5 are very different cars, and I think it was just a bit surprising to some people that once considering the M3 you went for the X5. So don't get offended by people acting a bit weird, the M3 is a dream car to some and they would take it over a X5.

Of course what you want to buy is your own decision, but remember posting on a public forum, people have opinions and thoughts. Although people should restrict what they post a bit more IMO.

I personally want to see pic's of this beast B) Sounds a minter mate.

edit: And enjoy the drive back to Dunners (Lucky bugger!!) ;)

Edited by Nick021