Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

Stolen Plate!

My younger brother had one of the original black number plates stolen off his Citroen today, outside his high school. Does anybody know where he can have a replica made to replace this? Preferably to match the original. He is adamant that he does not want new white plates, for aesthetic and historical reasons. Any help is appreciated!

What a bummer. Who'd steal a number plate?

I'm pretty sure than any new plate made these days are the white ones with the ugly font.

I doubt you'd be able to get an original black one made again.

the closest i know is getting one made by Autoplates.com, they do europlates with black background and silver font, shouldnt get any problems but they aren't legal per se. Pretty unfortunate for your brother.

To get a legal plate it would have to be white with the new font, land transport registry doesn't issue anything other than those and personalised plates.

Edited by Tomo

You may want to report the stolen plate to Police... it could be being used to steal petrol etc. Your bro may get a knock on his door otherwise! :D

good point gannetboy. But then you'd have to go for a new plate to replace it and get a set of govt issue E@@### plates that would lose the classic look entirely. Doesnt seem to be a way around it unfortunately.

Edited by Tomo

Wasn't there talk of them bringing back the old black plates specifically for older cars?

Wasn't there talk of them bringing back the old black plates specifically for older cars?

source? hah don't mean to have you on about it, but seems a bit far fetched for bureaucracy. Far too generous. Wishful thinking, probably. Or maybe mixed up with when the black fern europlates were released.

Edited by Tomo

source? hah don't mean to have you on about it, but seems a bit far fetched for bureaucracy. Far too generous. Wishful thinking, probably. Or maybe mixed up with when the black fern europlates were released.

I know what you're getting at, a quick google brings nothing up...I probably dreamt it or something silly :/

You may want to report the stolen plate to Police... it could be being used to steal petrol etc. Your bro may get a knock on his door otherwise! :D

+1

You should definatly report it to the police. Happened to my dad a few weeks ago

That really sucks mate, I have an old car with Black plates and really think the suit the vehicle and also make it stand out as NZ new.

You would need to find an engineer with the plate stamps and re press one, wouldn’t be cheap but could be done.

I know what you're getting at, a quick google brings nothing up...I probably dreamt it or something silly :/

i thought i had heard this too..??

Looks like we're going with a replica silver on black europlate from autoplates. They only stole the front plate, so the rear is still original- and the rear is what you'd be most likely to be pulled over on. Will just cut the front one down to match the width of a NZ plate and put it in a normal plate surround. A bit sad they can't use the much more attractive pre 2006 NZ font though. He's decided that illegal (we prefer the term non-official) is better than ugly!

Why not just get some new ones stamped from VTNZ then?? It won’t cost much.

Sand blast them back to bare metal, mask the digits and spray may black.

Why not just get some new ones stamped from VTNZ then?? It won’t cost much.

Sand blast them back to bare metal, mask the digits and spray may black.

Will VTNZ print an existing plate though?

If the plate is stolen they can reissue it. Although registration plates are property of LTSA so altering them would lead to fines if you got caught. You're better off doing it the way you originally suggested.

If you have personalised plates, the people you need to contact is LicenSys.

Remakes were around than $30 for standard ones (I did a pair 2 years ago), not sure about Euro plates.

Physical Address : 16 Tui Street, Otahuhu, Auckland

Postal Address : P O Box 22078, Otahuhu, Auckland 1133

Phone : 09-259 2660 Fax : 09-276 9829

If you have normal plates, you can go to any vehicle compliance agents (AA, VINZ, VTNZ) to get re-issue.

Not sure about the fees for reissue due to stolen, but to change from personalise to standard was around $15 including 2 new plates with new rego numbers. Do check with them first, as you might need police report.

If you have personalised plates, the people you need to contact is LicenSys.

Remakes were around than $30 for standard ones (I did a pair 2 years ago), not sure about Euro plates.

Physical Address : 16 Tui Street, Otahuhu, Auckland

Postal Address : P O Box 22078, Otahuhu, Auckland 1133

Phone : 09-259 2660 Fax : 09-276 9829

If you have normal plates, you can go to any vehicle compliance agents (AA, VINZ, VTNZ) to get re-issue.

Not sure about the fees for reissue due to stolen, but to change from personalise to standard was around $15 including 2 new plates with new rego numbers. Do check with them first, as you might need police report.

Have reported the plate stolen. But definitely not interested in a new registration number, he is resolved to keeping the original black plate style and registration number. I doubt many classic Citroens are used in crime so any use of the stolen plate should be quickly ruled out as having been my brother!