Sign in to follow this  
B.AMAZD

E36 Ignition Barrel Faults

Hey dudes,

2 days ago. I was driving my bimmer to pick up my sister, then I took out the keys to turn off the car. But the car was still running, but the keys were already out. which is I found it freaky. then I took out the distributor off to turn off the car. and It was stuck in ON. which is all of the radio and dash lights were on. I tried turning on the car, but It was stuck in ON, then the ignition barrel was turning 360 all over. We towed the car and I had to buy a new ignition barrel with the steering column. I tested my new steering column and I just wired it to my car, but not yet installed. still the car wont start but I can turn the key, which is I can turn it off and turn it on, but I cant start the engine. But when I put my original key to my broken ignition barrel, and I turned on the car using my new steering column. the car started.

Its pretty confusing how my car needs the original key to start the car, does it need the detection for the original key? and how can I really fix this problem, and I quoted the repairs for this problem and they quoted me 900NZD to repair it, as they need to reset the computer. Is it really true that they need to reset the computer? as my mates which they are BMW Enthusiasts. they told me they dont really need to reset the computer.

Please help me to solve this problem and any suggestions for the installation. :(

Cheers Dudes

Hey dudes,

2 days ago. I was driving my bimmer to pick up my sister, then I took out the keys to turn off the car. But the car was still running, but the keys were already out. which is I found it freaky. then I took out the distributor off to turn off the car. and It was stuck in ON. which is all of the radio and dash lights were on. I tried turning on the car, but It was stuck in ON, then the ignition barrel was turning 360 all over. We towed the car and I had to buy a new ignition barrel with the steering column. I tested my new steering column and I just wired it to my car, but not yet installed. still the car wont start but I can turn the key, which is I can turn it off and turn it on, but I cant start the engine. But when I put my original key to my broken ignition barrel, and I turned on the car using my new steering column. the car started.

Its pretty confusing how my car needs the original key to start the car, does it need the detection for the original key? and how can I really fix this problem, and I quoted the repairs for this problem and they quoted me 900NZD to repair it, as they need to reset the computer. Is it really true that they need to reset the computer? as my mates which they are BMW Enthusiasts. they told me they dont really need to reset the computer.

Please help me to solve this problem and any suggestions for the installation. :(

Cheers Dudes

did you fit a second barrol and key etc . you need to take the coded chip out of the old key and fit it to teh new key .

it has to be inside teh plastic ring around the key hole to make the car start

did you fit a second barrol and key etc . you need to take the coded chip out of the old key and fit it to teh new key .

it has to be inside teh plastic ring around the key hole to make the car start

nah i havent inserted the new barrel, but i just wired it. Where can I see the coded chip from the key? i opened my old key and its just the flashlight, and the new key has nothing in it.

You went to alot of trouble to fix a simple repair. We could have fixed your old one for $120. It's a common problem. The ignition switches are all the same. If you have EWS, the reader coil that fits over the barrel reads the chip in the key. The second hand ignition barrel & key wont work if you have EWS. You will have to refit the old one and we can still fix it for you. If you have the red infa red globe under your rear vision mirror, you have EWS and the second had parts wont work. If you have a solid key you cant get the chip out. You can only swap them on the remote type keys that have batteries in them. The chip sits next to the battery in the blade end of the key.

Edited by botanymotorworx

You went to alot of trouble to fix a simple repair. We could have fixed your old one for $120. It's a common problem. The ignition switches are all the same. If you have EWS, the reader coil that fits over the barrel reads the chip in the key. The second hand ignition barrel & key wont work if you have EWS. You will have to refit the old one and we can still fix it for you. If you have the red infa red globe under your rear vision mirror, you have EWS and the second had parts wont work. If you have a solid key you cant get the chip out. You can only swap them on the remote type keys that have batteries in them. The chip sits next to the battery in the blade end of the key.

i went to your shop last saturday. and i booked the car on thursday. under my name Angelo. they quoted me for the repairs for 200NZD. sweet.

i went to your shop last saturday. and i booked the car on thursday. under my name Angelo. they quoted me for the repairs for 200NZD. sweet.

You didn't book it in with us...we don't open on saturdays ?????

You didn't book it in with us...we don't open on saturdays ?????

DUH :blink:

DUH :blink:

aw man i think i went to the wrong shop.. somethon bmw workshop in harris drive in botany.. wen can i book it at your shop? i quoted it there for 200nzd. maybe you can do it cheaper ;)

aw man i think i went to the wrong shop.. somethon bmw workshop in harris drive in botany.. wen can i book it at your shop? i quoted it there for 200nzd. maybe you can do it cheaper ;)

Keep your booking with Ross on Thursday. I cant do it till next week at the moment. Obviously there is a bit more to it. They have looked at it and given you a price to do the repair. We charge the same prices and they are good people to deal with as well. You dont want to risk the barrel jamming completely, because then it will cost alot more to repair. Get it repaired ASAP. I have covered this fault in previous threads.

Cheers

Glenn

[/quote

I had a similar problem and took my car to a garage and they have purchased a second hand barrel and key for $286 ad they charged me about $200 labour.

I need some more work done on my engine, how can I contact you?

Edited by thevince

[/quote

I had a similar problem and took my car to a garage and they have purchased a second hand barrel and key for $286 ad they charged me about $200 labour.

I need some more work done on my engine, how can I contact you?

You can phone me tomorrow morning...any time after 7.00.. Ph. 2722546