Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

Ruapuna Lap Times

Yesterday I attended my first track day event. Hands down one of the most exciting experiences I have had (thanks to Matt a.k.a echo_complex (M3 turbo dude) for giving me the heads up.

I am 100% newbie when it comes to motorsport (other than the odd go kart lap lol) so this was a bit of a learning experience for me. After a few laps I slowly built up my confidence and starting to really give it a go.

Yes, I ended up losing control and found myself going backwards through the paddock twice, but considering I was not holding back and it was my first time I guess it's not too bad :P.

On my better laps I would hit around 200km down the long straight and do a lap in 1:52 (timed by my mate who was in the passenger seat).

Just curious if anyone else has timed themselves around that track and what they were driving.

P.S. My god was there some awesome cars racing that day... M6, E55, Jags, Mazeratti's, Porches and quite a few of those little lotus bullets (I timed one of them do a 1:45 which seemed by my calculations the fastest on the day).

Finally, When is the next BMW track day meet... I am soooo in!!

Edited by crazyarab

I've done the ProDrive(?) thing there. With their RX7 and Formula Ford, was heaps of fun a. Spun the Formula Ford out lol. Was only on the small track tho.

How did you get onto that track day ? I am dying to take the beast for a strop but haven't found the window of opportunity as yet.

If there is a BMW track day at Ruapuna, I will be a definate starter !!!

Haha yeah the track day was awesome fun for my 5 laps until my clutch gave up :(... I'll be keeping my ear to the street for the next one :P.

I am assuming that with that time you were doing the full track, minus the dipper.

If so, that is a very good lap-time.

The 540LE has done 1.55's around there as a bog standard car. The 206SP is running 1.40, the 348 about 1.47, and the Touring cars are about 1.33

Great track Ruapuna. I love it.

Well done on your time!

As a comparison the E30s are generally getting around in 1:48 - 1:50's. I can get around in my M6 in about 1:44 on a good day and some of the other open class cars (E30 M3's, M323 etc) are making it in the low 1:40's.

Just in case you haven't seen the post in the race series forum, a few of us are heading out this coming Friday afternoon (5th) for a play.

Cheers

Edited by M Power

How did you get onto that track day ? I am dying to take the beast for a strop but haven't found the window of opportunity as yet.

I NEED to be informed as well lol. I missing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Let us no next time guys

cheers

Riley

Well done on your time!

As a comparison the E30s are generally getting around in 1:48 - 1:50's. I can get around in my M6 in about 1:44 on a good day and some of the other open class cars (E30 M3's, M323 etc) are making it in the low 1:40's.

Just in case you haven't seen the post in the race series forum, a few of us are heading out this coming Friday afternoon (5th) for a play.

Cheers

Thanks! Definitely a very fun track to be on. I am actually pretty keen to go again, what time are you guys going in next Friday?

I NEED to be informed as well lol. I missing out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Let us no next time guys

cheers

Riley

I will post once I know anything next time!

Friday is a normal test day (like most Tuesday's & Fridays) and they are run as half day sessions, 9am - 1pm and 1pm to 5pm.

Cost is $100 per half day with a 50% discount for Canterbury Car Club members (is well worth joining up if you're a not).

We'll be out for the afternoon session, probably arriving 12:30-12:45 ish.

Unsure if we will have all of the afternoon as the bikes sometimes turn up also and if so we get 20-30 minute turns about.

Drivers (& passengers) need to have race or cotton overalls, helmet and if I recall correctly a fixed fire extinguisher also.

is there a alright turnout? wouldn't mind watching one day

the bmw track day prolly wont be quite so "loose".The reason for this is that if something unfortunate was to occur the club could be in big trouble....

Friday is a normal test day (like most Tuesday's & Fridays) and they are run as half day sessions, 9am - 1pm and 1pm to 5pm.

Cost is $100 per half day with a 50% discount for Canterbury Car Club members (is well worth joining up if you're a not).

We'll be out for the afternoon session, probably arriving 12:30-12:45 ish.

Unsure if we will have all of the afternoon as the bikes sometimes turn up also and if so we get 20-30 minute turns about.

Drivers (& passengers) need to have race or cotton overalls, helmet and if I recall correctly a fixed fire extinguisher also.

does that discount apply to any car club or only Canterbury?...

Discount applies to just Canterbury Car Club members unfortunately. It seems to be the norm around the country that members from one car club don't get discounts at another i.e. we pay full rates when testing at Timaru.

Unsure how many will be there but the first BMW Series race meeting for the season is 4 & 5 October along with Pre-65's, Super Sixes, Pro 7, OSCA etc so plenty of racing for spectators.

Discount applies to just Canterbury Car Club members unfortunately.

How much does it cost to become a member and whats the best method to sign up :)?

How much does it cost to become a member and whats the best method to sign up :)?

Download the membership application for the BMW club at www.bmwclub.co.nz.

Canty Car Club will no doubt have a website with their application form

Should be a good little gathering this friday pm at the track. A few of the bimmer boys are doing a pre season check and shake down. You will be most welcome.

Right, I am pretty keen but I don't have a fixed fire extinguisher in my car nor do I have "race" overalls.

Are these an absolute MUST at this meet? We only had to bring race helmets to the on I attended last week.

Anyhow, I will most likely show up regardless if I am going to race or not as it would be awesome to meet up with fellow bimmersport track enthusiasts :).

Helmet and overalls are a must, though normal workshop-type 100% cotton overalls are suitable rather than necessarily needing proper race overalls on test days.

I am pretty certain that a fixed fire extinguisher is needed but I'm sure the car club would be happy to confirm (349 6003). You get can get them reasonably cheaply from Mitre 10 which has the double metal clip variant for about $40 last time I was in there.

As there are no track marshalls / fire services based on site during test days a fire extinguisher probably is a good idea just in case.

Hopefully there will also be an opportunity for you to go for a ride in one of the race cars if you're keen.

Cheers

Hopefully there will also be an opportunity for you to go for a ride in one of the race cars if you're keen.

Cheers

Yeh like silver M6 ;).

Your car/driving is amazing, I still can't get over how fast the laps were. Had such a blast in the passenger seat, extra bonus because your car is LHD so it felt like I was in the driver seat!

Really appreciate the heads up, I had such a blast. I felt a bit left out though as I was pretty much the only "stock" car out there. Everyone else meant business!

Also made me realize how much of a bad driver I am lol, I was barely keeping up with the 318's lol.

Took some vid's, will post them up once I get them off the camera.

Yeh like silver M6 ;).

Your car/driving is amazing,

No - just the car :-)

Glad you enjoyed the trip around.

Cheers