Sign in to follow this  
matt45

Headlight condensation

hi all,

Stock E36 Headlights with condensation what is the best way too fix and prevent this problem?.... or is it a simple case of just leaving them to dry out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Turn your headlights on and go for a drive. The heat from the bulbs will generally dry them out.

Surely if it happens often you can seal the plastic front to the light unit?

On a dry day, remove the cover for the bulb in the engine bay as if you are changing a bulb, then turn the lights on until the condensations are gone.

But that said, they shouldn't really fog up inside to start with. Maybe the seals are "fogged" ?

This has been annoying me for the last 4 months.

Only happens in the left hand side headlight, luckily its not in both. But opened up the back, got a hairdryer and completely dried it so you couldn't see anymore condensation, but it came back the next day! AHH. Also happens with the left hand side front indicator.

hehe, I was looking for a solution this today aswell for my touring!

Best I can find on the web is to remove the covers on the top, turn on the lights and go for a drive.

If you decide to just leave your lights on whilst your at home, dont leave it too long cause you'll end up with a flat battery !

Ultimately though, the water must either be getting in or not being allowed to get out of it. Apparantly there is a hole in the e39 headlights that can get blocked but Ill be buggered if I can find it.