Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Buying 89-92 5 series advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

Im looking at buying 89- 92 5 series. Most I can find have high kms for my budget. . I would like manual but there are not to many about.

Do you think I should hang out for manual. Or are autos still fun on winding twisty roads. Like in NZ.

How much would it cost to get someone to do conversion? In NZ Wellington area?

And as for high kms how much is to high and should I stay away?

Has anyone had trouble with the top end of motor with over 250.000kms? I have heard it can be very expensive to recon top end?

And leather or cloth any downs sides to either?.

What the fuel comsumtion between 535i 525i like?

Any advice welcome on the 89-92 E34 M30 535i man of auto or any of the 5 series models.

Kiwi6539

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

Im looking at buying 89- 92 5 series. Most I can find have high kms for my budget. . I would like manual but there are not to many about.

Do you think I should hang out for manual. Or are autos still fun on winding twisty roads. Like in NZ.

How much would it cost to get someone to do conversion? In NZ Wellington area?

And as for high kms how much is to high and should I stay away?

Has anyone had trouble with the top end of motor with over 250.000kms? I have heard it can be very expensive to recon top end?

And leather or cloth any downs sides to either?.

What the fuel comsumtion between 535i 525i like?

Any advice welcome on the 89-92 E34 M30 535i man of auto or any of the 5 series models.

Kiwi6539

Hey

I own a 535, have for 18 months now and had nothing wrong with it. K's are on the very high side, 354,000 but doesn't miss a beat. Before I bought it, had a new head put on it as it was warped due to the head gasket going plus was a bit noisy.

No knocks down below, all sounding sweet.

Manuals are very rare, i'm very lucky to pick up a manual conversion for mine which I will be starting very soon. Could be paying anything between $800 - $1500 for a complete conversion kit if not more!!!

Leather is great had no probs with that side of things either. Fuel side, it's a bit thirsty but if you nanner it, you can get quite far in it. Got from Picton to Christchurch on $50 gas, thats when the petrol was at teh $1.70 odd P/L.

Good luck on your hunt!! :D

Hey mate.

Kms are debatably not a big worry, just make sure of good service history.

Higher capacity engine would be just as/if not more economical than smaller (ie. 2.5L) engines. More fun with the power if you want/have to use it.

Nothing wrong with auto but its dependent on what type of driving you will be doing. Manual e34's are rare. You could probably get a conversion kit from Brent_HARTGE535i or HellBM. Not sure of costs.

Or just buy this manual e34 540i.

Leather is nicer than cloth IMO. Though nothing wrong with cloth- holds you in the seat in twisties.

Of course they are not as reliable as your Toyota, and rebuild/parts cost are more $$$. BUT not much and it is well worth the extra.

Hey guys cheers for advice.

Have found 89 535i Manual. under 300.000kms. Mechanic has owned it for the last 4 years but has no service history from the previous owners.

Leather seats, But they are not electric though and no aircon. Manual seat don't bother me, But no aircon not so sure.

From what im told engine sounds ok, The water pump has be done and cam chain and gaskets.

Car looks ok, but could buy much nicer automatic for money with aircon etc. Or do you think having a manual is more important?. Ive never been a huge fan of autos on NZ roads.

535er you said $800- $1500 for conversion kit, Do you know how much to have someone do it for you?.

Do you think its huge risk with no service history?.

What ya think never owned Bmw before so any advice is great. im not looking to buy for couple of months so got time to research best options

Cheers

Hey guys cheers for advice.

Have found 89 535i Manual. under 300.000kms. Mechanic has owned it for the last 4 years but has no service history from the previous owners.

Leather seats, But they are not electric though and no aircon. Manual seat don't bother me, But no aircon not so sure.

From what im told engine sounds ok, The water pump has be done and cam chain and gaskets.

Car looks ok, but could buy much nicer automatic for money with aircon etc. Or do you think having a manual is more important?. Ive never been a huge fan of autos on NZ roads.

535er you said $800- $1500 for conversion kit, Do you know how much to have someone do it for you?.

Do you think its huge risk with no service history?.

What ya think never owned Bmw before so any advice is great. im not looking to buy for couple of months so got time to research best options

Cheers

Hi Kiwi

Congrads in finding a manual, like I say very rare and lucky to score one at a cheap enough price.

Like quailboy said k's aren't a big issue these engines are one of the stronger engines built by BMW, they just keep going as mine has proven. Wit yours you're considering in buying, be sure there's no misses or strange noises and take it for a good test drive first. See if you can take it to the open road as well. You will have a big grin on your face as soon as you notice the power these manuals have.

Automatics are thirsty versions has you are constantly on the accelerator . It was a manual version I drove down from Picton. Done it in my Auto as well, cost me about $80 compared to the $50 in the manual.

I wouldn't be too worried about air-con, we hardly use it these days, especially in New Zealand, had mine ripped out the best thing I ever did.

If you do decide to stick with an automatic, and you are lucky enough to pick up a manual conversion kit, try to find an authorized BMW mechanic who knows his BMW's to do the work, guaranteed to be done correctly that way.

I'm a freshman into the BMW world myself, after owning one I couldn't go back to owning a Japanese vehicle. Euro are built a lot better and stronger, not just slapped together.

Keep up the good hunt! :)

Here's a pic of my 535

post-1908-1220209441_thumb.jpg

Edited by 535er

if you want a manual ..wait.... they do come along,and nice ones too!You dont say what your budget is.Kms arent a worry,but certain things do need replacing at 160-200 k intervals....My advice is to get the absolute best car you find...auto or manual

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-173688039.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-173306130.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-172913725.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-172144644.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-171969751.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-170828304.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-160794580.htm

there is no shortage of manual e 34 at the moment.If you want everything in a 535 wait for a NZ 535 is.I disagree with the comment about air con.its the best way to keep the car fog free in the winter,and i would now never have a

car without it.even in welly!

look on the web for a site called e 34.net,its being rebuilt at the moment.These cars are prolly more intensive to keep going nicely than a totyota or honda but they last for ever if kept in good nick.unfortunatrely a lot havent

Edited by kiwi535

Hey guys cheers again for all th info!

I think I will hang out for manual. I am looking to spend around $3000 mark.

One question does the 525i Manual have enough power to be fun? And Is there big difference in fuel econony between 525 and 535?.

The 89 535 im looking at seems to have good engine, mechanic owns it ans has told me top end has no signs of wear. so not to worried about service history.

Are the suspension parts costly if anything needs doing?.

Have seen I can get Aircon kit for about $600 so if i decided I wanted it could always install it.

I lived in Uk for 5 years and have been coverted to european cars thats why I want one even if its older than Jap car.

Hey guys cheers again for all th info!

I think I will hang out for manual. I am looking to spend around $3000 mark.

One question does the 525i Manual have enough power to be fun? And Is there big difference in fuel econony between 525 and 535?.

The 89 535 im looking at seems to have good engine, mechanic owns it ans has told me top end has no signs of wear. so not to worried about service history.

Are the suspension parts costly if anything needs doing?.

Have seen I can get Aircon kit for about $600 so if i decided I wanted it could always install it.

I lived in Uk for 5 years and have been coverted to european cars thats why I want one even if its older than Jap car.

suspension parts arent too bad...most common is control arms and bushings..when the bushes go you get a "shimmy" at about 90 km hr...new bushes will fix it,but ussually the ball joints go soon after so replace arms at the same time...a nice NZ new 535 manual will prolly be a bit more than 3000.Come and have a look at mine if you like some time

I would if i could mate.

Im living in Singapore and not in back in Wellys till end of October.

Im thought budget was a bit low. but not to much room to move so might have to get uk import or not NZ new car.

Looking at what it would cost to import one at moment. just to get idea.

So control arms and bushes and ball joints aren't to expensive?

I would if i could mate.

Im living in Singapore and not in back in Wellys till end of October.

Im thought budget was a bit low. but not to much room to move so might have to get uk import or not NZ new car.

Looking at what it would cost to import one at moment. just to get idea.

So control arms and bushes and ball joints aren't to expensive?

I will see what mine cost....

If you going to drive it hard id say yes

My 50c worth.

I wouldnt bother with a manual if you are going to use it as a daily in traffic. The manual is great for touring, but aint that nice around town. The clutch is fairly heavy and it will drive you nuts in stop-go commuter traffic.

I'd buy a NZ New car, that way you get basically the best spec's around including LSD.

If your are looking at paying between $3-4K, I'd buy a V8 - 540 instead of a 6. The V8 is likely to be more economical on a trip, but a little thirsty aroound town. The V8 in sport mode is a heap more fun than the 6.

The standard problems are the front control arms, either with screwed bushes or ball joints, the bushes can be swapped by Nolathane items, but the ball jiont failure means the arms need replacing. Check EBAY for pricing.

The other main issue is the Instrument Panel display dying, but there is an internet site that covers off replacing the capacitors (for the brave!)

I'd go for leather over cloth...it wears better, both my "cheap" E34s have had over 200K km and the leather was pretty good. A check of TradeMe will show cars with just over the 150K km mark with worn through cloth.

Very nice car Brent.

Ive decided I want a 525i 0r 535i Manual now just have to find good one.

Do you think not having LSD would not be as much fun on open road?

Very nice car Brent.

Ive decided I want a 525i 0r 535i Manual now just have to find good one.

Do you think not having LSD would not be as much fun on open road?

lsd only any use when in the wet when you want to go side ways , or drag racing starts .

dont be to concerned as you can fit them easy enough .

i have one spare if needed

No point in having rear well drive if you can't go sideways ;) How much would you want for it and how much to install one?

No point in having rear well drive if you can't go sideways ;) How much would you want for it and how much to install one?

$1200

lsd only any use when in the wet when you want to go side ways , or drag racing starts .

dont be to concerned as you can fit them easy enough .

i have one spare if needed

Hi again brent

You have an LSD for a E34 535 do you?

You will regret not getting the 540i. Take it for a test drive. I promise you, you'll change your mind :). 400nm is no small number.