Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

2 e12 questions

ok. tinkering with the e12 520 last weekend and noticed 2 things.

1. key removed and lights turned off. the left front and left rear park lights were still on. any reason why?

2. theres a light above the temp guage on the right hand side of the cluster saying oel. its yellow and this is always on too. even with the key removed. what is it?

ok. tinkering with the e12 520 last weekend and noticed 2 things.

1. key removed and lights turned off. the left front and left rear park lights were still on. any reason why?

2. theres a light above the temp guage on the right hand side of the cluster saying oel. its yellow and this is always on too. even with the key removed. what is it?

the left hand park ights may be on cause you have the indicator stalk pushed all the way to the "left"..feature on some euro cars(ie my e34) You can leave half of your parking lights on all night.

Edited by kiwi535

Paul is correct for number 1. That usually means you have the indicator stalk pushed to the left when you remove the key. Its for the Europeans for then they park on the wrong side of the road. Your supposed to leave the side thats on the road with a light on it....or you used to, cant remember the last time I saw someone do it.

For number 2, google it and read the first page.....sheesh kids these days eh wanting everything without looking for an answer first :P

Its an oil warning light....check your dipstick.

Edited by Penry

Yes, as already said to Q1

Q2 Yes oil light, different to ours though as ours has a red light with oil can display. There were a couple of variations with dash clusters in the E12 though - what year is yours?

It is oil pressure though -not level as in the E30's etc with the monitor

Light obviously shouldn't be on all the time, particually with key off. Must be some sort of feedback somewhere for that to happen.

It's a simple circuit -ign supply to gauge & earth via oil sender on engine

the whole dash is in german so it makes it kinda tricky to work out what is what. but i noticed there is a light at the botttom of the dash which is red and goes out about 2 seconds after start up which i would have asumed to be the oil pressure light. as for the other light it is a amber colour and the car certanly has oil pressure. but i know the oil level is low do these veichles have a oil level light or just a pressure light?

Its an oil level light, have a look on google, if its on the internet then its got to be true.

When you say its all in German, is it on an lcd or something, or painted on? When looking for the oel light I found instructions on how to change it to English. Not sure if it will help you or not though. Something to do with pressing a button thats between the fuel and oil light or something...honestly dont remember the details

Its an oil level light, have a look on google, if its on the internet then its got to be true.

When you say its all in German, is it on an lcd or something, or painted on? When looking for the oel light I found instructions on how to change it to English. Not sure if it will help you or not though. Something to do with pressing a button thats between the fuel and oil light or something...honestly dont remember the details

Stand to be corrected on this - ours certainly hasn't got oil level warning & haven't seen one with but I do know of variations in E12 clusters

Edit - Being amber light rather than red probably does point to oil level rather than pressure

Edited by hotwire

Being amber light rather than red probably does point to oil level rather than pressure

You are right hotwire.

Remember the colours:

RED = critical problem, stop vehicle / engine immediately

ORANGE = Warning, be careful, but you can carry on driving

GREEN and BLUE = indicator lights for your information. Nothing is wrong.

Thus oil pressure is ALWAYS RED

Os if it is a yellow / orange light with OEL on it (oil) then it has to be oil level, and cannot be oil pressure.

You are right hotwire.

Remember the colours:

RED = critical problem, stop vehicle / engine immediately

ORANGE = Warning, be careful, but you can carry on driving

GREEN and BLUE = indicator lights for your information. Nothing is wrong.

Thus oil pressure is ALWAYS RED

Os if it is a yellow / orange light with OEL on it (oil) then it has to be oil level, and cannot be oil pressure.

Yep - thats what I meant just didn't spell it out.

Obviously some E12's had oil level warning -cant say I have ever noticed myself though

Your supposed to leave the side thats on the road with a light on it....or you used to, cant remember the last time I saw someone do it.

Do it with the r30 when parked on poorly lit residential streets, or busy roads with no marked parking lane.

The old mercs (eg w108) had a switch on the dash that turned the park lights left or right - also had a floor pedal for intermittent wipers and windscreen wash,