Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Any Telecom workers here?

There is lots of conflicting rumours about the new Telecom WCDMA mobile network - rollout was to be November this year, but one site now says June / July 2009.

Does anybody on these boards work in the industry?

What is the guts? What sort of phones / plans are we likely to see - $10 text retained?

Any goss would be great!

Cheers

hi, if you are talking about the gsm/umts network that they are "building", i wouldn't be holding out for something better than vodafone's network .... as telecom in all the wisdom are using crappy old alcatel-lucent equipment which was decommissioned in the Philippines 5 years ago coz it was complete and utter rubbish. :) GG telecom

had a meeting with phil reynolds earlier this year about up and coming stuff. Mobile was on that list. Stuff I can talk about is network is GSM however its going to be far more advanced than vodafones network. (newer gear)

Phones expect the same / similar phones to vodafone except they wont be selling iphone. (doesnt mean you cant just buy one and hook it up)

Phil made his first call on it 3 months ago.

He said november then but the date may have moved to make sure they have ironed out all the bugs.

All this info is a few months old so may have changed since then.

edit: hehe well then .. doesnt what I put here contradict the above statements. this is what I've been told so we shall see I guess.

hmmm are you sure hes getting what hes paying for? because the gsm/umts equipment that is down stairs in its crate is most definitely not "far more advanced" i can guarantee you.

edit: hehe well then .. doesnt what I put here contradict the above statements. this is what I've been told so we shall see I guess.

I love these threads. There are always so many comical statements made its almost funny.

I think you will find that anyone who actually is 'in the know' will be bound by all sorts of confidentiality agreements which is why the rumours and chinese whispers get so much traction.

Obviously I cant comment on any of it :P

it is only secret until it is announced and project has begun (both of these things have occurred), it is impossible to keep it secret when u have contractors and subcontractors driving around with the equipment and work orders.

from what i have heard ( i work for vodafone) the roll out has been pushed back untill next year... and NZ Communications is even further behind.

the launches have been pushed back but the installation of equipment is still proceeding (however slowly)

Work for Telecom, below information is public domain and in no way privileged.

WCDMA calls are in testing, network works with voice and data.

Technology is higher standard than Voda, full hspa coverage with a larger footprint than voda, however this will only be so for about 6 months after launch due to Voda network upgrade on load bearers of their current network.

Soft Network launch due in November, in bound roamers and small test groups only, full launch next fiscal quater.

If you want to know what phones will be launched just look at the voda portfolio and you'll have a good idea, obviously they wont be exactly the same.

I suggest anyone who makes comments in regards to this ensures they are authorised to do so (as Hybrid has stated, authorization from someone like Paul Reynolds (Phil?), legal team or PR approval, would hate to see any fellow bimmersporters get into trouble)

I'm more interested to see what new MVNO's are going to do to the market when they start up, contract rates and services with out signing up to a contract...pretty aggressive.

If you want to know what phones will be launched just look at the voda portfolio and you'll have a good idea, obviously they wont be exactly the same.

Thanks - so will we be able to use the same phone on both networks by changing simcard, or will phones be locked to one network?

How about those dual Sim phones, could you have Vodafone & Telecom Sims in one phone, utilise best features and deals from each provider??

Cheers.

edit - spelling

Edited by camera doctor

To be 100% honest mate, no one knows, it would be great if T/Com and Voda allow 'open' phones and both seem to heading in this direction but what either actually bring to market is a different story.

Dual phones could work but I havent played with these much so probably not qualified to comment.

I suggest anyone who makes comments in regards to this ensures they are authorised to do so (as Hybrid has stated, authorization from someone like Paul Reynolds (Phil?), legal team or PR approval, would hate to see any fellow bimmersporters get into trouble)

Yup, theres a pretty big section about this in any Telecom contract.

Dual phones could work but I havent played with these much so probably not qualified to comment.

Dual phones DO work ;) Have a few asian friends running 2 voda sim cards in the same phone, but never anybody running dual network yet. That would be gold!

Business section of todays Herald: $33m of already installed GSM gear is to be removed. Scrapping the change to GSM in favour of developing WCDMA. CDMA to be totally phased out by 2012.

Yes, but they were going to be doing W-CDMA in city centres, and GSM everywhere else. They spent $33m puttin gthe GSM in. now they are ripping it out to be replaced by 100% W-CDMA.

Read the article next time.

They do everything in city centres first - eg. ADSL2+. I dont believe anything the media publishes about Telecom, be it the NZ herald or TV3 or whatever else. I read our intranet for my info thanks.

hehe this got me on one of my I typed too fast days.. Paul is indeed what I meant.

With all this, at the end of the day .. we all get better techonology / bandwidth on our mobile network .. and best of all! .. compeditive pricing!