Sign in to follow this  
37 South

Annoying noise

In the last couple of weeks my car(E36 318is M42)has developed a small clicking(ticking) noise every time I accelerate under load.It seems to be coming somewhere from under the dash(then again I`m not to sure ,

Noise travels) The noise is not appearant when accelerating at standstill or at cruising speed, only when accelerating up hill(under load).the clicking(ticking) sound gets louder the more I accelerate.As soon as I ease off, of it disappears. This is not a loud noise, more annoying ,if anything.

Has anyone come across it before or has an answer? I put a post on 318is.de, but no answer as yet.

are you sure its not detonating?

not funny!! Serious answers would be appreciated. Edited by 37 South

Ewald

Is it a 'pinking' noise?

I think Andrew was being serious..isn't it pre-detonation??

I looked at the Haynes Manual, and it came up with these reasons:

- Incorrect fuel grade (or a bad lot of fuel)

- Ignition timing incorrect

- Fuel injection system or carburettor in need of adjustment

- Damaged spark plugs or HT leads, or incorrect type fitted (Chapter 1).

- Worn or damaged distributor components

- Faulty emission system

- Vacuum leak

Hope this in some way helps.

Cheers

Ewald

Is it a 'pinking' noise?

I think Andrew was being serious..isn't it pre-ignition??

I looked at the Haynes Manual, and it came up with these reasons:

- Incorrect fuel grade (or a bad lot of fuel)

- Ignition timing incorrect

- Fuel injection system or carburettor in need of adjustment

- Damaged spark plugs or HT leads, or incorrect type fitted (Chapter 1).

- Worn or damaged distributor components

- Faulty emission system

- Vacuum leak

Hope this in some way helps.

Cheers

No, not a pinking noise. it`s hard to describe,never heard that noise before.I don`t think has anything to with the engine. Seems to be originating from an electric/onic source. Might have Guido at BM w/shop have a liston to it tomorrow.

Oh, Grant, hope you have a nice holiday .

Cheers, I will. I need a holiday!!

Sorry, I was way off the beaten path. Guido will sort you I'm sure. My car was visiting him on Monday so he could have a second go at my leaking gearbox (it seems sorted now....and he redid it for free).

Cheers

Guest Andrew

not funny!! Serious answers  would be appreciated.

No such thing as pre-detonation

Detonation

Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition

Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Detonation

Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition

Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

Very scientific sounding.

It's not your vavles or tapets making that noise, they always make a ticking noise under acceleration if they're out, otherwise if it's definately electronic could it be ignition or radio interference?

im not helpful...but ewald is your iS the manual or automatic one i see near the pinnacle club?

Guest Andrew

Detonation

Pre-ignition

Very scientific sounding.

It's not your vavles or tapets making that noise, they always make a ticking noise under acceleration if they're out, otherwise if it's definately electronic could it be ignition or radio interference?

seeing as the m42 (which i think he has) has hydraulic lifters.. i doubt its that noise.

Sorry, got confused, getting late in the day after a long few days etc.

Cheers

It seems wierd that the noise would be from an electronic source if it only occurs under engine load, could it be drivetrain related? How long has it been going on?

Your engine is a M44 (M42 are only in the rare e30 318iS) & even though that engine has hydraulic lifters they can still be the source of the noise .My M40 has done massive mileage - dont know how many exactly as its speedo has been wound back but its at least 250000km and the hydraulic lifters rattle like a bag of nails

im not helpful...but ewald is your iS the manual or automatic one i see near the pinnacle club?

Yes that`s me.

Guest Spargo

Your engine is a M44 (M42 are only in the rare e30 318iS)

E36 changed to M44 in 96. Part of the face lift.

Origin of that clicking noise(more under load)comes from the exhaust manifold.

Went to BM workshop and had it confirmed.Either a cracked manifold(worst scenario) or broken exh.manifold stud. Car goes in wed.morning to get fixed.

If it`s a cracked manifold I will be looking at $800 plus 2-3hrs labour.Hopefully

it will be just a broken stud.

Guest Spargo

Mine cracked. The clicking noise was constant tho, and didn't inscrease with revs or load...

Sounded kinda like an uneven fan rotating.

Edited by CiLK WuRM

Mine cracked. The clicking noise was constant tho, and didn't inscrease with revs or load...

Sounded kinda like an uneven fan rotating.

This definately clicked ,this morning on the way into town it got louder, like an amplified Westclox Alarm.

How much did your manifold cost?

Mine makes a slightly audible clicking noise under load aswell...could be the same bloody thing although it may just be that I need a new manifold gasket...fingers x'd

exhaust manifold noises normally go away as the engine warms up..mine did anyway

exhaust manifold noises normally go away as the engine warms up..mine did anyway

What are you basing that on??? Sounds really dodgy

one of the studs holding the manifold on broke off...no biggy as there is approx 11 others....and there was a slight leak..as the metal heated up it closed the gap..no biggy

Guest Andrew

Same - one of my exhaust studs broke - it would make the ticking noise when you let the foot of the gas.

not funny!! Serious answers would be appreciated.

Sorry Andrew, withraw my remark, (thought `detonating` meant something else)

damn languages.