Sign in to follow this  
sin-drome

E30 REAR TRAY

hey guys just wanted to know what sort of installs people here have done on there e30's.. i have got a 89 320 sedan with dead stock speakers was thinking about getting 6x9s in rear tray, install looks like it requires cutting up though, any ideas? suggestions ? cheers :D

could i get away with 6 1/2's in the back ?

hey guys just wanted to know what sort of installs people here have done on there e30's.. i have got a 89 320 sedan with dead stock speakers was thinking about getting 6x9s in rear tray, install looks like it requires cutting up though, any ideas? suggestions ? cheers :D

could i get away with 6 1/2's in the back ?

I had 6x9s in the rear of mine, used plastic superheap spacers then modded them to fit, have some 300w sony xplod 6x9s been in use about 2 months total in mint condition with spacers included to fit a e30 if your keen? Want about 70 for them. PM me if your keen.

Just so you know, if you cut your rear parcel tray, you'll need an engineer to re-certify your car after you get it repaired because it wont be roadworthy anymore. Deadly serious on that. If your so into 6x9's build up some boxes. But no cutting!

Just so you know, if you cut your rear parcel tray, you'll need an engineer to re-certify your car after you get it repaired because it wont be roadworthy anymore. Deadly serious on that. If your so into 6x9's build up some boxes. But no cutting!

yer i read that cutting it up can mess with the car structurally thanks for that mate, what size speakers do you think i should get in there instead ? i aint really to keen on boxes, maybe high spacers ?? <_<

You can cut the parcel tray to suit 6x9 but DONT cut any rear shelf structure underneath or you will void getting a WOF as this is deemed structural integrety of the vehicle - even enlarging existing hole is not allowed.

For 6x9 to fit you will need to fit spacers & IMO this comprimises sound quality.

Havent fitted them but 6 1/2 I would say would fit existing aperture, others may confirm this.

I had to use approx 20mm spacers to fit 6.5" speakers, that will depend in mounting depth of the speaker though

You can cut the parcel tray to suit 6x9 but DONT cut any rear shelf structure underneath or you will void getting a WOF as this is deemed structural integrety of the vehicle - even enlarging existing hole is not allowed.

For 6x9 to fit you will need to fit spacers & IMO this comprimises sound quality.

Havent fitted them but 6 1/2 I would say would fit existing aperture, others may confirm this.

yer im not really to keen on cutting it up now lol.. ^_^ but yer looks like i might go down the 6 1/2 inch track if they do fit up.

iv got 6x9s with the plastic spacer things too and i think the spacer things look ugly as!

would have looked much nicer with some round 6 1/2s that sit flat on the parcel tray. my 2c

^ They'll fit plenty better than 6x9 but you'll still need speakers with quite a shallow mounting depth to avoid some sort of spacer

I also used to have 6.5's in before my 6x9s and they fitted just right, perfect size, depends on whether you want to sacrifice looks for sound or vice versa

just put 6.5 soundstream in my e36 better than 6x9s if you want bass go for a decent sub aswell as decent speakers

My 2c

^exactly, you wont find many (if any) car audio experts recommending 6x9's. I don't even use my rears normally, just good to have if theres people in the back. I've actually been meaning to pull the 6.5's out and slot some 5 1/4's in behind the factory grills.

if the gears good quality some components up front and a single 10" or 12" sub goes pretty damn well in a little e30. some smaller speakers for rearfill is optional if you often have people in the car. Anything else is overkill (I'm no expert, just from spending too much time and money on the stereo)

Read this

Spend your money on amps quality fronts and a sub. Buy rears if you have any money left otherwise don't bother with rear speakers at all.

I'm not telling you this because I think I know what I'm talking about, I'm telling you because you will end up with a louder, better quality system without wasting money.

Edited by bravo

Don't waste your time with 6x9's unless you've got a very limited budget. Especially sony 6x9's.

E30 installs are difficult but can be done well. Start off with nice front speakers and go from there.

exactly, you wont find many (if any) car audio experts recommending 6x9's.

There's been alot of arguement about oval v round. I was anti 6x9 but got talked into a pair by a speaker designer. Now have 6x9 in my front doors playing 70-1000hz and they're superb. Will be even better once they get some grunty amplification.

I'd flag the rears (stick with 5.25s) and get a sub and amp instead

You won't hear too much difference in oval verus round because 6x9's aren't made to the high end SQ spec most of the time. They're coax, so would be great on a small budget but I'd go 6.5 splits over 6x9's everytime.

If you post up a budget we could suggest models for you to look at.

Yeah - should be clarified - its not the shape, rather the fact that the 6x9 market is tailored toward the person that wants something pretty loud and bassy without regard to oveall sond quality. They can provide bass in systems lacking a sub.

However, better quality splits and a sub although more expensive will almost always provide a better result.

Edited by bravo

6x9's = the devil.

Get a decent set of fronts and a sub+amp setup.

If you have decent fronts there isn't really much need for the rear fill..

The factory speaker covers/holes on the rear tray also make for a good place for air to get out of the boot when your sub is up loud. i.e take the factory speakers out but leave the plastic covers, no one will ever notice there are no speakers there!

But like Graham said, if you are after something cheap without going to hard on SQ buy them..

6x9's = the devil.

Get a decent set of fronts and a sub+amp setup.

If you have decent fronts there isn't really much need for the rear fill..

The factory speaker covers/holes on the rear tray also make for a good place for air to get out of the boot when your sub is up loud. i.e take the factory speakers out but leave the plastic covers, no one will ever notice there are no speakers there!

But like Graham said, if you are after something cheap without going to hard on SQ buy them..

thanks for the info guys now, havent gotten to checking the front speakers but what size are they ? also does anyone know where i can get some decent looking tweeter pods for the front ? going to go components .. any suggestions ?

Yeah if you're just looking for Volume then you'd probably wanna go for the 6x9s but if you're looking for better sound quality and smoother sound then you should definately go for the 6.5s or maybe even some better quality 5.25s and maybe a sub in the back for some better bass.

But yeah just realised that just about everyone else on here has just said exactly that lol

Edited by S.J.T.C

im looking at spending about $450 max on components for the front.. models would be a big help thanks

Edited by sin-drome

Best bet would be to go round a few shops with a proper CD (no shitty mp3 rips) and have a listen to some. speakers can be pretty subjective so go with what sounds good to you. If possible get them to turn off any extra eq's or 'loud' features etc

im looking at spending about $450 max on components for the front.. models would be a big help thanks

I'm looking at getting a set of Rainbow (high quality handmade german stuff) components for my fronts.

There $389 from one place and yet to find anywhere else that supply Rainbow.