Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

usin H20

hmm, so my 5 is using water, now so more than usual. It seems whenever i give it a bit of a cane, the next day it will be low on water. What do you think this could be? the water resiviour cap is fukd (seal shot to peices etc, getting new one today) but i dont think thats the problem, as it still holds pressure.

Im thinking water pump or something like that? dont think it will be blown head gasket as its not running hot.

sparkle

Guest Andrew

well is there water running down the front of the block?

What kind of radiator did the m30 get.. one of those sh*t plastic tank jobs that the e34 got?

Guest Andrew

is that a plastic side tank? I can't really see

they tend to crack - may need new ones or whole radiator

my uses water from time to time but one of my frost plugs is fuk'd so thats where mine goes. its weird its fine for weeks then it leaks for a few days then all good again :banghead: dont know whats going on there

Dude, wont be a head gasket, they're fairly obvious and cracks generally show leakage signs unless they need to be under pressure...so if there's no obvious puddles then cane the beast until it's super warm and friendly then pop the bonnet and look for steam, you may want to check down by your auto tranny since that's water cooled aswell...

Edited: Note, turn your engine off and listen for any hissing, that's a sure sign of escaping H20

Edited by ///Carl

tisn't waterpump or header tank

dude i'm pretty sure we can find it this weekend

havnt't exactly looked fr it previously

tisn't waterpump or header tank

dude i'm pretty sure we can find it this weekend

havnt't exactly looked fr it previously

yeah aye

my uses water from time to time  but one of my frost plugs is fuk'd so thats where mine goes. its weird its fine for weeks then it leaks for a few days then all good again  :banghead:  dont know whats going on there

I would say its the gunge inside the water ways clogging up the leak, gets dislodged, leaks a bit, then blocks up again. I wouldnt flush ya engine just yet :o

I',ve had this in a few forkhoists before from Japan.

To the leak problem way above - throw a radiator pressure tester on the cooling system and look for a leak... or loose hose clamp.

Edited by 318is

it will be radiator, they old and shity, take it out out go get it checked, its free

ur right man, that was the problem after all, a cracked top tank in my radiator, apparently couldnt get new tanks for my radiator so i forked out for a slightly better (and bigger :P ) radiator thru my mechanic... final bill? $570..................................

Guest Andrew

ur right man, that was the problem after all, a cracked top tank in my radiator, apparently couldnt get new tanks for my radiator so i forked out for a slightly better (and bigger :P ) radiator thru my mechanic... final bill? $570..................................

told ya -

ouch.