Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Ebay.... Trustworthy?

Hiya,

I've never used ebay before - but I'm looking at getting this thing - http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HTC-Touch-Pro-T727...id=p3286.c0.m14

What's the best way of finding out whether a seller is trustworthy or not? I mean the price isn't so cheap that it's unrealistic (but it is about $250 cheaper than trademe).

Cheers for any help :)

Feedback is good -

In the last 12 months

6523 Good Feedback

78 Neutral

40 Bad

Been a member since 01.

I assume your aware the item is in Hong Kong?

If they offer paypal, use it. I would have no hesitation buying off ebay as long as ou have the paypal protection. Its saved me twice by getting my money back on dodgy items.

Feedback is good -

In the last 12 months

6523 Good Feedback

78 Neutral

40 Bad

Been a member since 01.

I assume your aware the item is in Hong Kong?

Yeah I did see that - is it a bad thing?

Not Necessarily, Just so long as all the feature's of the item work in Nz? Thats all I would be worried about.

Does the one one on trademe thats $250 more have a warrenty? Always handy with these types of things!

You should be right. The HTC touch uses windows mobile, so you can "flash" the ROM for NZ if necessary.

I don't have any experience with GSM handsets like this one - I am under the impression they are plug and play with voda nz, but who knows???

If it were CDMA it won't work out of the box over here - needs the telecom nz extended ROM.

You might be able to find a pre-prepared ROM online, but chances are you'll have to build your own. It's not hard, but if everything I've said so far is over your head, then it's probably not for you.

More research needed???

As far as ebay goes, I've bought the odd thing and always used paypal and always had good experiences.

Edited by bravo

I bought Carsoft via e-bay uk delivered from china & workshop manual via e-bay aust,again delivered from China-used paypal with no probs.

You should be right. The HTC touch uses windows mobile, so you can "flash" the ROM for NZ if necessary.

I don't have any experience with GSM handsets like this one - I am under the impression they are plug and play with voda nz, but who knows???

If it were CDMA it won't work out of the box over here - needs the telecom nz extended ROM.

You might be able to find a pre-prepared ROM online, but chances are you'll have to build your own. It's not hard, but if everything I've said so far is over your head, then it's probably not for you.

More research needed???

As far as ebay goes, I've bought the odd thing and always used paypal and always had good experiences.

I think network wise it should be good, formatted my HTC TyTN many times, no probs, automatically picks up vodafone settings. I have no probs with flashing - have done it many times, although I don't think its related because I wouldnt need the NZ rom to use it, just the vodafone network settings, which can be downloaded via CAB file (or at least thats how it works with the TyTN) - My main concern is just getting what I'm paying for!

Not Necessarily, Just so long as all the feature's of the item work in Nz? Thats all I would be worried about.

Does the one one on trademe thats $250 more have a warrenty? Always handy with these types of things!

It says so, but the seller is located in australlia (for the trademe one), similarly, the ebay guy is offering a 3 year warranty with this phone, but I sent him a question about using the warranty overseas because I'm not sure whether it would be applicable in NZ.

Ebay can be trusted but some Americans can't.

Most ebayers like dealing with Kiwis, but it helps to have a USA shipping address

The yanks love fleecing you for shipping costs [ and exporting styrofoam chips in a large box ]

USA has some powerful "Wire & Stamp" fraud laws [ it becomes a federal offence as soon as it involves the phone, internet, or postal service ]

I have used these laws before against a lying bitch in San Antonio Texas, [ I got service real fast after that ]

I have never lost an item yet on USA Ebay [ value for money is a different issue ]

Hi

Never had a problem with ebay. This person has done over 65,000 trades so you'll be fine.

The only thing I ever worry about is the item going missing in the post. But insurances cover that.

Item will be in Hong Kong which is even better because you'll have it in about 5 days!

Will you be saving $250 on this phone even after shipping and exchange rates? Very nice phone BTW