Sign in to follow this  
EVLE30

clutch

hey all,

Every now and then when i first get in to the car, and depress the clutch, it goes straight to the floor, and slowly comes back up as if the hydraulic pressure is building behind it.

is this normal?? its a E30 318i, manual conversion done by Ernst and Rob at Bavarian.

The reservoir fluid is fine, and the clutch is firm and positive once the pressure is up.

My factory manual 318i has a nice springy clutch, no slow build up of pressure.

I push it down, and it comes straight back up, nice and quick.

Edited by Eddy

Could be a slow leak inside the master or slave cylinders, could be an old rubber line flexing, could be a loose connection from hard to soft line, could be old clutch fluid. Only way to find out is either to investigate or to go to a mechanic.

Edit: And no, it should not be doing that at any stage, should be nice a firm and return no matter what temperature its at.

Edited by QuickSilver

The clutch master cylinder is faulty

Thats for that information. unfortunately this morning it played up to the point i couldn't drive it, so it is now in with Ernst being looked at. Whats the repair cost on the master cylinder? so i have some idea before he rings me and dont fall over from shock!

Not sure about the cost of the part - maybe $80-120?? at a guess (real OEM lists it as US$154 OEM, but I'm sure they aren't that much), but you will only probably be billed for an hour to remove the old one, install the new, and bleed the clutch system. They will probably use new fluid so another $15 or so for that.

It's can be a bit fiddly swapping them over as you have to get your head in the footwell and remove a couple of bolts and a clip on the clutch pedal.

Edited by bravo