Sign in to follow this  
boy benz

CAMBER WHEEL PROBLEMZ! HELP!

Hey my Euro fans.

I am in need of help for my Mercedes E280 1993.

My car sits pretty low and as you all know if you sit low enough

to the ground without a camber kit it would eat out the tread

on the inside of my tyres?

Which has lead me to my problem. . .

Does anyone know where to purchase

a camber kit and how much would it cost???

I heard you got to get camber bolts or something as well instead of camber kits?

and can you install it yourself or do you gotta

get a mechanic to do it etc.

cheers Alex

I dont know what sort of suspension it has,

But if it is a Semi-Trailing-Arm adjust it by slotting the holes.

Vertical slots for camber on the outside, and horizontal slots on the inside [ do it this way to keep the wheelbase standard for wheel fitment in the arches]

After slotting the holes fit washers to the bolts that can be spot-welded after a wheel allignment [ for positive location]

This is the standard "Cowshed Engineering" that is used to repair Rally Cars with their infinitely adjustable wheelbases

[ they continually get shorter thoughout their racing lives ]

You really should hang around here more often Kerry.

Always a pleasure

Haha Kerry - exactly the process that I discussed for my race car with a mechanic which shall remain nameless.

I think I will pay up for he weld-on kit from Ireland Engineering for my car (it has slotted holes and eccentric washers on the head of the bolts). It won't really work any better than your way, but it will be adjustable.

Edited by CamB

hey m8, with some mercs it is actualy possible to install camber bolts to the rear arms, at quite a low cost. we hav done quite a few here at 'Firestone Greenlane' if ur in the auckland area and wanted to come in and we could hav a look at it for you,nd give u a cost. we are at 215 Great South road, Greenlane. or 09 5249666 talk to 'Ash, mention ur a bimmersport member and i'l give u a deal.(that applys to tyres and alignments.

Ash. Can you do the same for early bmw's? I have an early 635csi that is lowered a little and badly in need of adjustment. I can do the welding my self just need a little bit of a guidllnine.

Cheers, Douglas

Ash. Can you do the same for early bmw's? I have an early 635csi that is lowered a little and badly in need of adjustment. I can do the welding my self just need a little bit of a guidllnine.

Cheers, Douglas

Hey there, im nt to sure about the early 6er's bt the e30's cant be easerly done as the bolts are quite lond and i havnt managed to find any eccentric bolts long enough to fit through the arms. but if u bring it in we could hava look for u and go from there.

if they are similar to e30 you should be able to. 2 options here, either buy a kit for an e30 from bmw2002.com (Ireland Engineering). This is a bit risky as it may not fit, I'm not sure how similar the e24 rear setup is, but this kit is basically eccentric bolts and some small plates that are welded on to the subframe for a bit more strength and to guide the bolts.

If you want to do a custom kit you can use eccentric bolts from an e39. You'll want #11 and #13 from this pic:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=33&fg=30

details on the bolts all there, its got a key in the end to ensure the waser rotates with the bolt.

actually got a pic of the bolts and modified subframe:

Posted Image

The larger one is made by IE, no key in the end but allows for much more camber adjustment.

The smaller galvanized one is the e39 bolt, used for toe on the outer bracket, shown below.

Posted Image

Edited by Mike

Thanks guys.

I was really looking to see if there was an easyer way. I had similar problems years ago with a 280zx I had. I believe the 2002 i.e. parts will work on the 635. The chassis is the same as the e12 5 series. I have a whole 100 lts drum of eccentric, subfram and other bolts i scored from a wrekers that was shutting shop so i will probably make up something myself.

Bought a turbo for it BTW Mike. Old k26 with a k27 compressor and rather large exhuast housing. Fully rebuilt so should be ok for my not so lofty power aims. looking for 350 hp at the crank so no high boost needed.

Cheers, Douglas

Bought a turbo for it BTW Mike. Old k26 with a k27 compressor and rather large exhuast housing. Fully rebuilt so should be ok for my not so lofty power aims. looking for 350 hp at the crank so no high boost needed.

Excellent </Mr Burns>.

That's definitely worthy of pictures etc. Update your project thread :)