Sign in to follow this  
EVLE30

E36 A/C Fan not putting out much air

Hi All,

My wifes E36 318is A/C Fan blows bugger all air through the cockpit, even when on maximum. A mate of mine also has the same problem on his E36. Someone once said to me it was a filter behind the dash? Is this true or is it something else? We're moving to CHCH in January, so obviously going to want it for the summer, but more important the winter when i freeze my balls off i want the heater to work very well!

Any ideas?

Try changing the microfilter, which is indeed up underneath the dash. There are instructions on the net on how to change it.

cheers guys. What needs to come out from the drivers side instead of the glovebox on the LHD models?

also, where do you get the replacement filter?

You don't actually need to pull out the glovebox (or in our case, any of the dash trim)

What you can do if you're flexible enough is recline the drivers seat fully, then lie on your back with with your head facing upwards under the dash. You'll then see the black knob which you twist to remove the microfilter. It will most likely come out in bits, that's OK. Give the recess a vacuum to remove any other leaves etc in there, and then install the new filter. Finally, call a chiropractor ;)

You can buy the new filter element from BMW.

Good luck

You don't actually need to pull out the glovebox (or in our case, any of the dash trim)

What you can do if you're flexible enough is recline the drivers seat fully, then lie on your back with with your head facing upwards under the dash. You'll then see the black knob which you twist to remove the microfilter. It will most likely come out in bits, that's OK. Give the recess a vacuum to remove any other leaves etc in there, and then install the new filter. Finally, call a chiropractor ;)

You can buy the new filter element from BMW.

Good luck

Cheers GB, i'll claim it on ACC.... :P