Sign in to follow this  
Katalyst

Falied WOF!!!!!!

alrite have just failed a warrant on the left ball joint (86' e30 320)

now my question is.....

do i replace the balljoint...

replace all the bush thingees on the control arm... or

get new control arms???

the new control arms seems the easiest to me, if so how much roughly and is there varying types??

is lowered and possibility of new engine and gear box in not to distant future

thanks

OK, you need to ask the WOF place which part is at fault. Is it the steering arm ball-joint?

These are easy and cheap to replace yourself.

If it's the control arm ball joint, then you have to buy an entire control arm (about $120-160 from memory). In which case you may have to (and probably should) replace the rubber bush, and you have to replace both bushes if you replace one, so it would pay to check on the condition of the other control arm and ball joint.

No matter what you do, you'll need a wheel alignment afterward.

Goodluck. BTW with new bushes you'll notice a decent improvement in handling over worn bushes.

Goodluck. BTW with new bushes you'll notice a decent improvement in handling over worn bushes.

prolly quieter and smoother too...

the guy said it was the steering ball joint, but was unable to tell if the control ball joint was stuffed!!

and Iwas of the thinking, if ones going the rest cant be to far behind.....

had to happen while my normal mechanic is touring the coasts of europe!!!!

so is there any difference bewteen various models and/are they better, do the bushes connect to the sway bar??? would it good to upgrade tht to a bigger one aswell??

hope tht makes sense

cheers

Well its stuffed or not - no point in changing it unnecessarily. I would just replace the one that needs it. As a general rule they last a long time and fail only because the rubber boot lets dirt/moisture in, causing wear.

The sway bar has its own end links. They may or may not need replacing - you'd need to check.

Don't get me wrong, going through a car and replacing all the bushings (and the shocks, if needed), makes them feel like new... but its expensive!

so could you replace the control ball joint aswell - so keeping the arm and replacing the 2 ball joints and the bush thus refreshing the entire thing??

will ring round 2moro and get some prices

Edited by Katalyst

If you're paying a shop to do it, it might be a good idea to replace all at once, because you'll pay the labour twice if the other bits go in the near future.

the ball joints can be replaced seperately but its not normally worth it once you go through the trouble of pulling it off and then having to get the joints pressed out and in again.

Steering balljoint is cheap, and about half an hour to replace yourself. Contorl arm balljionts don't wear out as often as the tie-rod ends (aka outer rack end, outer ball joint, steering ball joint). I damaged a control arm not so long ago, so I replaced it and both of the control arm bushes (with powerflex urethane), but my other control arm was fine so didn't bother to replace.

Just do the tie rod end and be done with it. Next time your car is with a professional mechanic, ask them if they think your control arm bushes and sway bar bushes are due.

alrite have rung quite a few different places and the cheapest arm was 155 + gst, ball joint 62.5 +gst, and bush 71.5 + gst

have manged to source thru a friend of a friend, arms for 90 buks!!!

but im having trouble betting the bushes

it is through bnt and the ones they have on file are the wrong ones, according to them

can anyone help me out with a discription or part number for the bushes??

cheers

Noltec seems to have been bought by Whiteline.

In the catalogue it is W81924 for the offset caster bushing (no point in getting the non-caster bushing). Old Noltec number is probably N81924.