Sign in to follow this  
KiwiAlpina

Alpina 's gone floppy

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!, :banghead: My Alpina has these strange wobbles in the steering at about 90-100ks, feels abit like the wheel balance but have had that done so many times it's not funny, last time today accually. when you hit a bump or irrigularities in the road, the front end gives you that sort of speed wobbles affect you get on a bike. you need to either drive hard tru it or hit the brakes to slow down, either way it then dissipates. I've looked at all the immediate possibles as to way this is happening, i.e front end bushes, tire pressures, tires ect, so a'm totally lost.

So if anybody techo on these things or even just offer something, i would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

KiwiAlpina

DRIVE HARD - LIVE LONG :thumb:

control arm ball joints?

inner/outer tie rod ball joints?

steering rack?

are you running E39 rims? ive heard if you dont run hubcentric rings on E34s/E28s this can happen bcoz of the different hub size

Hi Gus, thanks for that but yer have replaces tie rods late last year to attempt to remedy this, as for the rack, do you think it could just need nipping up?,

Hi bmwsparkle, no mate have the genuine Alpina rims 8.5" up front and 9.5" out back.

Cheers Guys

Tony :thumb:

Drop E34-535ti a PM

He had exactly the same problem with his E34, it's the inner control arm bush (the front one).

Anyway he has all the part No.'s Prices etc...

And there is some place in OZ that sell Urethane ones too.

Sounds like you should have it sorted but could be warped brake rotors, quite common on E30 aparently. Other possibility is bent rim, but I'd be extremely surprised if it hadn't been picked up in the wheel balance by now.

Sorry to bring up an old thread...but i'm having a similar problem, I am yet to balance the wheels (will do soon), but i'm certain that will not fix it going by what the thread owner has said.

Did you resolve this problem in the end?

Regards,

Ian.

Would suggest it's probably the front upper thrust and lower control arm bushings, need new ones, common thing, see this link.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/id18.html

daves hit the nail on the head here. Very common problem, i will be replacing my bushes shortly too for the same wobbly reason.