Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

My tale of woe

This is my tale of woe and just shows that Murphy’s Law comes into play sometimes when u least expect it.

It all started one Saturday about a year ago when while sitting around with nothing to do I thought now is the time to upgrade my car and get the bmw I always wanted to. I had no model in mind and just thought I would hop around the car yards and see what was about. I came across this particular one and at the time thought hmmm that’s quite nice would not mind a closer look.

So off I take in a test drive and did the tunnel run and back again, I thought hmmm yup this is not to bad but because I do a lot of travelling I thought I need a much longer drive to test this out. I discussed this with the dealer and said how would you feel if I took it for a drive to nelson and back to make sure it’s comfortable and not to bad on gas. I was surprised to hear him say yup no problems.

Away I go on Sunday morning, everything is going fine until about 15k past the turn off to Hamner where I came to a crest that also combined a slight right hand turn, I was travelling at around 65 - 70k when coming over the crest to find fine pea gravel all over the road where they had been doing road works. The car starts to slide and I manage to grab it and I thought I had corrected it but must have over compensated and started sliding the other way then the tires bit into some road with no gravel and shot me across the road towards the bank on the left hand side. There was nothing more I could do and I can remember thinking frik this air bag is going to hurt.

I hit the bank spin around about 3 times and end up in the centre of the road. I sit there for a few minutes thinking frik frik when I hear another car braking and sliding and he does the same as me and ends up no more the 3 meters from me. I get out and shoot over to make sure the other drive is ok when I see he is I grab the triangle out of the boot and race up the road and put it out to avoid any more cars smacking to us. The approach to the other side of us is fine as it’s a long straight after the slight curve and you could see us no problems at all. A truck driver coming the other way stopped and helped us out and towed both our cars to the side of the road right next to yes 2 other cars that had done the same thing. The truck driver said did you not see the warning signs of road works and to slow down to 30k to which I replied aye I never seen any signs.

We go for a walk over the crest to find no signs at all then the other guy who almost hit me spied the bloody signs up in the bush, somebody thought it would be a funny idea to throw them up there for some reason. Anyway the truck driver gave us both a ride back to chch and I contacted the car dealer to needless to say be not to impressed. I had to pay the $1k excess because in the end their insurance company wrote the car off. That’s my lesson on how not to take a car for a test drive.

I guess all in all it was not mint to be and I am more happy with the bmw I have now than I think I would ever have been with the one I was thinking of buying. Here are the pics from the results of the crash. Oh and one thing which I was surprised was not a single airbag went off and yet to me the impact was bloody hard, hard enough to give me a hell of a sore back and some real nice seatbelt bruising that stayed with me for some time.

post-3443-1224274425_thumb.jpg

post-3443-1224274435_thumb.jpg

post-3443-1224274445_thumb.jpg

post-3443-1224274450_thumb.jpg

post-3443-1224274457_thumb.jpg

Edited by presso

Very interesting story mate. Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself too bad.

To tell you something about the airbags. I was in a major crash on SH1 coming back from Tauranga to Auckland. A stupid old lady pulled out from a turnoff right in front of the car, literally. Had no time or anything, slammed on the brakes, hit the old couple at about 100km/h. Stepped out from the still perfectly in shape cabin, windscreen still intact. Airbags Didn't go off! But the front of the car was smashed, the shock from the impact went down the side of the car and the doors were somewhat out of line, even the boot was.

Other car was in the barrier, crumpled beyond recognition, the passengers needed minor medical help, which the bmw first aid kit came in handy for. After that theres no car I feel safer in.

I think it must take a extremely big jolt to set off the airbags, was surprised they didn't in my case. Car was written off aswell, E36 sedan.

Sh*t happens.

bad luck buddy, well done on corrections - can read it now :)

Edited by bmw3

I had my e36 Coupe written off few years ago. The tow truck driver at the time said he've seen his fair share of accidents, and commented if I was in anything Japanese, I would have been hospitalised without doubt. The other car that I hit was a Toyota RAV4, which my BMW has DEMOLISHED the front of.

Air bags didn't go off in my case either. I've read that usually you'll need 40-50+ km/h to deemed necessary for deploying the airbags.

Needless to say, I've been sticking with Euro cars since.

Few pix says more than a thousand words....

Edited for typo

post-450-1224322037_thumb.jpg

post-450-1224322047_thumb.jpg

post-450-1224322058_thumb.jpg

post-450-1224322075_thumb.jpg

Edited by my_e36

Sorry to hear man, thankfully no one was hurt!

Yea I wouldnt worry about the excess you have to pay although its certainly a bitch just be thankful you lived to tell the tale! Ive had a similar story happen to me while test driving a E36 a few months back I tink just before my birthday..

Was a private sale in Herne Bay which I had noticed the car advertised everyday as i drove past and recognised it as one my uncle used to have years ago. So I stopped and just had a look in the window and wrote down the number and was going back to my car when the guy came out of his house and we got talking and he just chucked me the keys and said to take it for a spin. So naturally I said yes and he was working so he didnt come along. So was driving along and was just going to pull in to little parking bay to have a proper look and as I pull in some person just rams straight into the side of me so I Duke of Hazard it and jump out the window since the door wouldnt open.

Got the guys address etc and PH number which later on turned out to not be correct and had quite a few people witness it.

But alas it wasnt a greatest feeling to ring the guy and tell him he car is munted haha. Luckily I wasnt liable for any of it so didnt have to pay his excess or what ever but just walked away feeling like a wally with a sore shoulder.

That sucks.

The same sorta thing happened to me in march this year, i was the passanger in my old car (E36 320i) it was late at night there had been roadworks at the top of the hill we were coming over durning the day but there were no roadworks signs.

So me and my friend were doing around 80-90k over the hill hit the fine pea gravel the driver did something dumb and we did a 180 on to the right lane and hit a power pole, the power pole broke into 3 pieces, apparently the car looked like a U. My parents were advised not to view it (so i have no pictures).

All i remember is waking up in hospital thinking wtf happened, i had broken my pelvis in three places and had some minor internal damage the driver was able to walk away, i had to spend 2 weeks in hospital and a month in a wheelchair after that.

The police said if i was in a jappa i wouldnt have lived.

All in all an eye opening experience.

BMW's for life for me

Edited by jordy

Snow & ice + Rimutaka Hill = :(

Wasn't even going fast, only about 30 - 40kph max, absolutely no traction at all.

Could hardly even walk around the car, road was very icy.

post-2919-1224386959_thumb.jpg

post-2919-1224386980_thumb.jpg

The police said if i was in a jappa i wouldnt have lived.

All in all an eye opening experience.

BMW's for life for me

The E36 would score a very low crash rating buy modern standards, the cop was ignorant, had you been in a modern Japanese car you would have most likely walked away.

The E36 would score a very low crash rating buy modern standards, the cop was ignorant, had you been in a modern Japanese car you would have most likely walked away.

Don't agree at all. The e36 has a 4 star rating. Very low?? Modern Toyota's, say up to '05 have either 4 stars or below. Its a fact that European cars are safer than Jap equivalents.

How come it's only e36 drivers who have posted about crashing their cars? Is there a trend i'm missing? :P

How about 90km/h into a tree in an e30???

My g/f walked away, but head and muscular injuries have meant off work for 6 months so far. Still has problems esp memory and concentration ones due to head injury, but at least she's more or less back to normal and in one piece.

Car not so lucky. Looks like someone punched it in the face.

Posted Image

Well either way Graham i still think i was extremely lucky to be in a bmw

True that, had you been in a Corona of the same year you may not have made it <_<

They haven’t tested the E36 under modern test procedures and the 4 star it scored would be in a different test. Im not saying they are unsafe, im mealy pointing out that the Euro’s are the same as the Japs these days and that a modern Suzuki swift would be much safer than a E36 in a similar crash situation.

My shocks got broke, and didn't realise till I was going down a hill, on a steep corner. Got massive understeer on a tight corner and just managed to keep on my side of the road.. coming out of a corner I nicked another car and did a 180. 1979 honda accord.. needed a new door + $300 worth of panel beating and a new tyre.

Then I found out the towies towed it with the handbrake on and on the tyre rim and bent the rear axle.

Tyre tracks show I was on my side of the road, but because I was young and **** scared I said I may have been speeding to the cops, and got done with careless driving. I was going 55 but what I said when I wasn't with it got me done.

Annoying thing was I'd taken the corner at much higher speeds. Young and ****ing extremely stupid, could've killed myself or others.

Oh well, at least it got me round to buying my e21 :D