That E28 Alpina is pretty hot

Um without too much overthinking and in no particular order I'd like please:

1. E34 M5 or E34 540i/6

2. E39 540i/6 - the manual like that bloke from Toke - with kit etc

3. E46 330Ci Manual

4. E24 M6 (if it sneaks in!) or else a hot vert, E30 or E36

5. E36 M3

$25k is chumps change.

1 one could be done easy for 25k, Wagon 8-9k, wrecked M3 10k 6-7 k to put it all together.

To be fair I did the same maths. However, recent experience has suggested that at very least you need to double any off the top of the head estimate of "put it all together" due to a combination of additional time required, cost over-runs, and massive scope creep (the "while you are in there" mentality).

Damn that scope creep.... Man I know that feeling. Change the air filter, but while you're there... total engine rebuild later...

Thats why I reckon Sam's dreaming with what he said for $25k, because if you are doing that, while you're there... you'll do brakes, replace every rubber and consumable item, paint, interior, the whole nine yards.

Edited by bravo

To be fair I did the same maths. However, recent experience has suggested that at very least you need to double any off the top of the head estimate of "put it all together" due to a combination of additional time required, cost over-runs, and massive scope creep (the "while you are in there" mentality).

I have had it quoted and that would cover it believe it or not… It really is no different than fitting any M52 so they recommended going the whole hog first time round if im going to spend the money on a conversion. If you had the expertise you could do it yourself for much cheaper.

Hard part would be finding a wrecked M3.

Guest SamSpargo

Alot of the same things. Interesting how much people think they can modify an e30 for $25 k (Sam). You wouldn't even get close mate. Not doing it properly anyhow.

Love how some people are thinking outside the box and choosing Alipnas etc. Never even thought of those!

I'll itemise the list once I'm done if you like?

(25K doesn't include already owning M3NTAL, quite a caveat, I know :D )

(25K doesn't include already owning M3NTAL, quite a caveat, I know :D )

OK, I LOL'd.

In the spirit of this $25k discussion, I will offer you $30k for the finished car you speak of. That's a $5k "profit" for you (since you haven't given a value for the car!).

Hard part would be finding a wrecked M3

theres a 3.2 engine and box and trademe at, LHD not sure if that would work. some one should do it!

EASY!!!!

i had a 25k limit and i brought a 95 m3 and took home some change

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

it goes, stops and steers perfectly

In descending order of age;

A Fiji Green E36 328i Touring, manual with Dove Grey leather, and every option.

A Z1. (25k EUROS, ok!)

A 2002 tii

A BMW 700 Coupe for some rear engined econo-fun

And a BMW Dixi, boat-tailed speedster body, please.

Guest SamSpargo

OK, I LOL'd.

In the spirit of this $25k discussion, I will offer you $30k for the finished car you speak of. That's a $5k "profit" for you (since you haven't given a value for the car!).

Highest offer I've turned down was 17K. Suprisingly, it's actually not that many hundred dollar bills when they're in front of you. Movies lie.

it goes, stops and steers perfectly

Lol if that's the criteria for a good car, I may as well sell all my cars and just drive the tractor (1960 david brown 60hp). I goes, stops and steers perfectly too.

OK, I LOL'd.

A quote can be within 10% higher than quoted and that’s all. If I was to do it I highly doubt anyone would pay 30k for a S50 Tech II E30 touring, would do it and keep it until the day I wrote it off.

Alternatively, just buying a E36 to start with would be a greater option, there is a nice black one for sale in Papatoetoe, I could always get really dark tints.

Did you really get a written quote for that? I am impressed.

Cam's family car. With 316i badges.

Or my E30 once I'm done with it.

Or 330ci manual. In white.

Hey Graham( Apex), been a few E30 Touring conversions in the UK with the 6 cyl M3 engine. Saw one for sale on Pistonheads for 6000 pounds, complete rebuild including brakes etc, cost a small fortune to build, if you know someone over there get them to bring it back under the exemptions.......just a thought.

Have you seen the complete M3 engine/box/pedals/ etc on tradeyou?? 8 odd grand.

A "fully loaded" E3 3.0Si "Sunroof"

A E9 3.0CSI or a euro market E9 CSL

E34 Alpina B10 Bi Turbo

E12 M535i (English Market one)

That would do me....