Sign in to follow this  
Motorbreath

M44 to M50/52 Swap

Heya people I have a '97 E36 318is that's been off the road for a while but will be recommissioned in the next few weeks to roadworthy status. It's black with an M3 kit, sunroof, black leather and some 17's that I think were dealer optioned with a BMW centre cap. (five-spoke bent tuning-fork style if that makes sense?).

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile doing an M50/52 swap with manual gearbox? Bearing in mind my particular example isn't worth a hell of a lot so selling and buying a 328i isn't really an option. The current engine as you may have already guessed is an M44B19. Is any fabrication required? or can i just buy mounts, engine, loom trans etc and fit it all up?

What are your guys opinions? If this doesn't work out I'll probably just end up saving for a while and doing a 1UZ swap.

Do you know how much an engine/gearbox/mount/clutch/comp/driveshaft/diff/halfshafts/brakes/radiator etc etc etc costs?

You'll probably find selling and buy a 328 manual a lot cheaper.

But yes it should all fit without fab work.

Sorry.

is your old engine stuffed or something .

but a donar car .

i have something .

91 325i 5spd.

yes should all swap over pretty easierly just takes time.