Sign in to follow this  
caleb

anyone using this BM53 Radio and successfully changed radio frequency?

Anyone out there using exactly the same radio set? (see attached)

Were you successful in your attempt to change radio frequency to NZ standard?

This is what I did...

1. Key in Pos 1

2. Turn on radio

3. Press and hold Traffic button for 10 sec

4. I could hear a short audible pause (almost like radio turning off and on again)

5. At this stage, I suspect the radio is in service mode

6. However when I pressed scroll button, there was no response; in fact all buttons except menu stopped responding.

7. I had to turn off the radio and turn it on again to bring it back to normal.

repeated the above with Select and Mode button unsuccessfully.

Thanks

post-3714-1225518827_thumb.jpg

Remember the TRAFFIC button is 2 x buttons: try first using the left hand side, and then after try using the right hand side.

On a Euro car the button is labelled RDS & TP, but only the text changes - the mechanics and electrics of the button are unchanged.

Remember also, the Service Mode can only be entered into within the first 10 seconds of turing the radio on.

Thanks Jochen. This is exactly what I did but it just won't go into service mode.

after about 10 sec, I could hear the radio turning off and on again, which I assume it went into service mode. However as soon as this happen, all buttons stop responding including < >. I had to turn the radio off and on again to return it back to normal.

Wonder if there's someone out there having this particular model of radio?

Edited by lufu

Thanks Jochen. This is exactly what I did but it just won't go into service mode.

after about 10 sec, I could hear the radio turning off and on again, which I assume it went into service mode. However as soon as this happen, all buttons stop responding including < >. I had to turn the radio off and on again to return it back to normal.

Wonder if there's someone out there having this particular model of radio?

Service Mode is clealy visible when it happens because the screen changes.

If you cannot access it, no matter what button you try, then you likely have the Old Gen C23 JAPAN radio module. You can confirm by physically observing the radio module and reading the label on it. The radio is mounted in the boot under the nav, remove the lining to access it.

If you have an old-gen radio then the possible replacements are:

1. C23 OCEANIA model, browse the wreckers shelves... will be nearly impossible to find in NZ as I don't think any E46s NZ-new had TV. But you might find one in a Singapore car.

2. old-gen Philips Business RDS, direct plug and play even with Jap nav

3. old-gen Becker BM24 Professional RDS, but you need to change nav first

Edited by jochen