Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

inner tie rod

Hey,

Just failed a warrant because inner tie rod is loose or something. The whole tie-rod assembly costs about $190 new. Do you recommend I buy it new or find second hand? New I can only buy the whole assembly that comes with ball joints too apparently. And I'd should probably buy both sides if buying new so thats $400 + labour, a bit too much.

Also, how hard is it to install? I've read the bentley and they say you need a special tool.

Thanks,

Gregor

You sure it just doesnt need new tie rod ends or is it the whole assembly?

Inner tie-rod end aka inner rack end. You can re-use your ball joints (outer tie rod ends) if you can buy the inner separately. It's not a hard job, but you will need a wheel alignment afterward. It's probably not necessary to do both sides. Often you get tens of thousands of kms before the other side needs doing (not always of course).

It just needs the inner tie rod on the passenger side. Can't get original BMW parts separately anymore but only the whole assembly. I think there is aftermarket suppliers that sell the parts separately so will try and just get the part from one of them, if I can find it. rather not buy 2nd hand.

I can pass the warrant but if I don't fix it it will just destroy my new tires, so I guess its worth doing.

Anyone know where I can buy aftermarket parts from?

Thanks for your replies btw. To change just the inner tie rod, does the whole assembly still need to come off?

Gidday. I used Ray of HELLBM (sponsor of this site) for my second hand inner tie-rod, after having failed a VTNZ check. I payed $50 (incl courier delivery to South Island). My mechanic fitted it for around $100. Buying new parts are obviously always going to be the best option, but quality second hand parts are perfectly acceptable in some cases. It has passed subsequent VTNZ checks too.

Aye!