Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Checking In from the USA

Hi All

Now that I have some 1/2 way decent internet access, I thought that I'd have a decent check in and see what has been happening in Bimmersport, and also update those that are interested on our move.

Good to see that things are trucking along in here.

For those that don't know, my wife and I uprooted ourselves and our 2 young kids and moved to California. My wife is originally from the US, and our 2 kids are US Citizens (as well as NZ Citizens). Therefore it was pretty straight forward for me to get permanent residency here.

We arrived 10 days ago in San Francisco, and have been staying at Brook's parents in a small town called Coarsegold, CA ever since. Coarsegold is in the foothills of Yosemite National park, so is pretty nice for a rest and settling in period, however due to its remoteness, the interweb has been pretty hard to get with any speed.

In their back yard, there are wild deer all the time, squrrels a lot, quail, and the odd tarantula (I managed to accidentally run a few over today driving to Sacramento - I was trying to avoid them, but by the time you realise that they are not just a piece of rubbish on the road it is too late).

We have bought a Subaru Outback 3.0l, and it is a good car (not that I can drive it as I can't get my name on the insurance until I get my CA drivers licence, and I can't get that until I get my Social Security card). We even have Recaro baby/child seats in it - which are very cool.

However I have rented a car so I can drive. I have a 2009 (yes...2009) Pontiac G6 GT, it is a small car about the size of a 3er BMW, but has a 3.5l V6. I was the first person to drive it (apart from the delivery to Enterprise Rentals).

I have been getting used to driving, and then today drove from Brook's parants to Sacramento (about 200miles) where I have job interviews for the next couple of days. Driving over here is funny, you get 90% of people who are very very polite, and then 10% absolute nutters. However I have found driving here very easy (I have done bits and pieces before here anyway, but not that much until this week). I have bloody good Garmin GPS Unit, so that makes driving damn easy. It even directs me into the correct lanes on the freeway, so really takes the guess work out of it.

Thats about it from me, but the focus now is to find a job, either in Sacramento, or San Francisco. I have been talking to agents, and there seems to be a bit around that matches what I do, so the economy can't be that bad everywhere.

Also, you think the NZ election dominates the media in NZ, you have seen nothing...not only is it the presidential election here, it is also the election for all sorts of other officials, as well as a huge number of potential law changes, so every second advert on TV is an electorial one. I can't wait for tomorrow to be over.

Anyway, I have attached some photos, sorry about the quality, they are taken with my iPhone (which if anyone is interested about using them overseas, I had no issues at all getting it connected to AT&T here).

Cheers

Grant

post-43-1225754828_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754847_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754868_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754894_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754917_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754937_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754955_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754971_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225754994_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225755008_thumb.jpg

post-43-1225755031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grant

Nice bit of country you're in G-unit. Glad its all going well. That's one hell of a spider there dude!

Get Simon or Sam to send you the sweet photo of the sign in Paihia giving you props.

Good to hear from ya Grant.

Best of luck with the job hunt.

Guest Simon*

Hey Grant

Sounds like things are going well and you and the family settling in. As Graham mentioned we managed to get a pic in your honour in Paihia over Labour weekend ;)

Posted Image

(Note medals worn are for drinking)

Take it easy mate and make sure you keep us updated. Let us know when you get your license and buy a Beamer too

Cheers!

Si

Sounds like its going well over there!

That Subaru looks a nice car as well as the rental you have. Keep us updated, very interesting reading. You planning on getting a bimmer over there? There are some mint examples around in California.

All the best.

Nick