Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Hub problem after track day

Guest Andrew

I haven't been driving my car much since the track day - but i've noticed a mean knocking coming from the back when you change between going back and forward. So i whipped off the rear wheels and had a look.. well - the right hand hub is able to move some degree around its drive axle - does anyone have a detailed diagram - could it have sheared a few splines?

pic - if i hold the middle bit.. I can move the disc around hub around it a few degrees.. it makes the same knocking sound. I would have thought the wheel bolts would have stopped that movement - so maybe the knocking is coming from inside the hub.

any ideas?

thanks

post-6-1094265062.jpg

i dunno bout that one but it kind of sounds like what used to happen to mine but its stoped doing that now i think

what was the point in that post dude? that gave no help AT ALL, you wernt even trying to be funny or anything...

gah !!

ah i see what your getting at.....its not the actual disc itself is it? that wouldnt be a problem.....but its prob more than that...f**k i dunno....its odd though

what was the point in that post dude? that gave no help AT ALL, you wernt even trying to be funny or anything...

gah !!

i was marely pointing out that it happend to my car becasue it could be a common thing and easily fixed ? who knows

anyway that post you made made was niether helpful or funny

so why point out other peoples 'unhelpful' comments when your doing it yourself

any way i guess my wheel was knocking becuse of the bolts were proberbly loose which eventually made my wheel come off

my brother originally assumed the knocking could have been the sway bar so maybe its that?

Guest Andrew

C.V. joint ok?

perhaps a CV - does any one have any diagrams of the drive axle - cv and hub?

Not a sway bar - not a wheel bearing.

gah !!

so why point out other peoples 'unhelpful' comments when your doing it yourself

because im a mod and im telling you to think about posting first!!

Posted Image

Guest Andrew

rather it now seems more like a bearing or CV.. clunk on the right hand turns and over bumps.

The movement sounds to me like a wheel bearing although the knocking sounds like a CV. I failed a warrant because of movement in the wheel, turned out to be the wheel bearing had worn down and there was too much play in it.

Edited: Oh yeah, when you said clunking on right hand turns, does it only make that noise under hard cornering and does it sound like it's coming from the front right???

Sic, instead of posting your bad assness mod comments could you please PM them as they only cause us more sh*t to wade through and they also provoke more sh*t posts back.

Edited by ///Carl

rather it now seems more like a bearing or CV.. clunk on the right hand turns and over bumps.

If it`s`the wheel bearing, Pm me ,Might get you a good price on one.(That would be the whole hub ,not just the brg.) Edited by 37 South

*sic, instead of posting your badassness mod comments could you please PM them as they only cause us more sh*t to wade through and they also provoke more sh*t posts back.

Cry me a river Carl, that was to all of you to take note of also.

Guest Andrew

The movement sounds to me like a wheel bearing although the knocking sounds like a CV. I failed a warrant because of movement in the wheel, turned out to be the wheel bearing had worn down and there was too much play in it.

Edited: Oh yeah, when you said clunking on right hand turns, does it only make that noise under hard cornering and does it sound like it's coming from the front right???

Sic, instead of posting your bad assness mod comments could you please PM them as they only cause us more sh*t to wade through and they also provoke more sh*t posts back.

I'm leaning toward the universal joint.. I mean the car passed a pretty rigourous certification process only 2 weeks ago. Usually bearings make a rumbling noise when they go though.

I'm also considering a lose bolt in the trailing arm - It only makes noise really at slow speed.

Guest Andrew

If it`s`the wheel bearing, Pm me ,Might get you a good price on one.(That would be the whole hub ,not just the brg.)

Will do when I know.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

Ain't no hub problem - got the car up in the air and actually had a look. Bearings rumble and universal joints don't knock like that. Worn bushes knock - and these bushes are th e only ones not new. These are what the anti-sway bar bushes look like. So ordered some of them.. bloody ex-germany.

Rear/Susp Swaybar Link 45.92 x 2

RUBBER BRG 11.95 x 2

With 15 % discount.. pricey but guess you don't replace them often.

post-6-1094864683.jpg