Sign in to follow this  
savvi

starter motor help

my 86 325 is having starting issues when i start the car it nothing happens for a few seconds then all of a sudden kicks into life, also after long highway runs it wont start at all after the car has been turned of briefly all ya here is the fuel pump, and do i have to remove intake manifold to take the starter out,

any help appreciated

It may not be the starter. Could be a faulty ignition switch or voltage drop to the solenoid. You best get it checked first. You dont need to take the manifold off to do a starter

It may not be the starter. Could be a faulty ignition switch or voltage drop to the solenoid. You best get it checked first. You dont need to take the manifold off to do a starter

ok thanks glenn, if it is the starter would it be a good idea to det it rebuilt by my local bosch motor electrician

Guest FrantiC

ok thanks glenn, if it is the starter would it be a good idea to det it rebuilt by my local bosch motor electrician

There is a guy off trademe that sells them for like $100. Rebuilt starter motors and rebuilt alternators.

Check your ground strap from the oil pan to the chassis. That is a common bad ground and it's the main ground for the engine (Thus the starter motors ground). Even if it Looks good, It can be bad from oil and gunk build up. Try a jump cable from the oil pan to the chassis see if that changes anything, Thats a good way to test if the earth wire is bad.

Check your ground strap from the oil pan to the chassis. That is a common bad ground and it's the main ground for the engine (Thus the starter motors ground). Even if it Looks good, It can be bad from oil and gunk build up. Try a jump cable from the oil pan to the chassis see if that changes anything, Thats a good way to test if the earth wire is bad.

Very good point and check the battery terminals

There is a guy off trademe that sells them for like $100. Rebuilt starter motors and rebuilt alternators.

its dry as a bone and tight that was my first check i done since the problem started

hows my diff , got a price yet mate

heya, if it is auto i had a simalar problem in my auto 325i; it end'd up being a auto trans selector switch which wouldnt let the car start unless it was in park or neutral. it had a loose connection in it makeing it think that the car was in Drive or Reverse.

Guest FrantiC

its dry as a bone and tight that was my first check i done since the problem started

hows my diff , got a price yet mate

Nope, Been busy with my motor build and sorting through junk. Trying a local sale for it as I have alot of junk in the garage I don't need but my trash could be someone elses treasure so I have been sorting through stuff that will actually be worth while and what isn't lol - But at the same time I haven't really sorted out shipping for the larger of items.

I will try get onto it tomorrow.