Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Uneven Height

Hey people.

Something that has been annoying me for a while with my car is it sits alot higher at the front then at the back. Are most e30's like this?

It has been lowered on B+G super lows. Is there anyway to even out the ride height? Without having to do something dodgy and cut out a coil of the front spring (as has been suggested to me before).

Kinda difficult to see just how bad it is in the pictures below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-3734-1226389221_thumb.jpg

post-3734-1226389312_thumb.jpg

post-3734-1226389343_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaz

The guards at the back are lower than at the front. Will be an even distance off the ground all round.

People commonly lower there E30's 60mm at the front, and 40mm at the front to combat this.

Facelift E30s have uneven wheel arches. That gives the illusion that its lower at the back. Park on level ground and have a look down low, youll probably notice the chassis is dead even! If you car is a 6 cylinder you could try getting the 4 cylinder version of your spring to bring it down a bit more in the front. Be aware that it may take a massive nose dive though! Hope this helps..

Jason

That is a huge gap, for those springs to be super lows tho.

The tyres look a little small, but that is still a decent gap.

this pic shows the 60mm/40mm drop antony suggested (preF/L so yours will look a little bit higher in the rear due to the difference in guards

post-1471-1226392747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike

The tyres look a little small, but that is still a decent gap.

this pic shows the 60mm/40mm drop antony suggested (preF/L so yours will look a little bit higher in the rear due to the difference in guards

The tires are 17's. Didn't think they would be too small.

Wow I just noticed The difference in guard heights. Didn't think it was that different. Wouldn't that idea just raise the back slightly to make it look similar heights? I would be more interested in lowering the front a little bit more.

WHOA!! Something definitely fishy there - the front doesn't even look like it has lowered! As suggested go park on level ground and measure the chassis rail to see if it is even.

Have you got a whole lot of heavy crap in the boot?

Just a smallish sub but its not that heavy.

Try it on a more level surface (looks like it is parked uphill) and without the sub, then (as has been suggested) measure to the sill and see if it is even.

Guest FrantiC

Put the spring perch pad things back in the rear, It will lift it up abit higher at the rear and even it out abit more. Your front is really high.

Mine is like 99% horizontal if you look at the sills. But the guards aren't off by that much.

Edited by FrantiC

Try it on a more level surface (looks like it is parked uphill) and without the sub, then (as has been suggested) measure to the sill and see if it is even.

Its pretty level parked there. Like I said, you just cant see it very clearly in those pictures. I'll take another couple when I get home.

I don't even think the front has been dropped at all.

And it has been lowered at the front and back. The same springs are in the front and back. I saw them installed myself.

Put the spring perch pad things back in the rear, It will lift it up abit higher at the rear and even it out abit more. Your front is really high.

Mine is like 99% horizontal if you look at the sills. But the guards aren't off by that much.

What springs are in yours? Thats the kinda height I'm after for the front.

Edited by Kaz

my cars the same man

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=17651

it has 40mm king springs in the front and rear. i plan on getting some Vogtland (sp) 4cyl springs for the front from keith from h&r which should bring it down to a perfct height at the front,,

only trouble is he doesnt have any sets left , so just have to play the waithing game, but i do suggest those springs.

I have no idea how much my car is lowered, im thinking 30mm rear 35-40mm front and it sits level visually with a respected stance. I would love it as low as in my sig but alas I am old and fat and over shocks bottoming out!

Parked next to Jason’s white wagon the other day mine did look a bit high.

I personally find the VOTGTLAND springs a bit soft, would go with Coilovers if I was to start over.

my cars the same man

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=17651

it has 40mm king springs in the front and rear. i plan on getting some Vogtland (sp) 4cyl springs for the front from keith from h&r which should bring it down to a perfct height at the front,,

only trouble is he doesnt have any sets left , so just have to play the waithing game, but i do suggest those springs.

They look amazing on your car! I didn't think 18's would fit as I have been told before. I dont think your front is quite as bad as mine though.

How much are they and how long do you have to wait?

Checked before and its pretty even at the bottom of the car. Not exactly sure where to meassure but it was 17 cm from the ground to the underside of the car at the front and 18cm at the back. Couldnt get a decent camera to show what I mean. kinda weird how its slightly higher at the back yet the front sits so much higher.

Would it be possible to compress the front springs a bit? Its another idea thats been suggested but not too sure on it.

are you sure thats the hight, my e30 was 160mm of ground at standard, then it was 80mm

They look amazing on your car! I didn't think 18's would fit as I have been told before. I dont think your front is quite as bad as mine though.

How much are they and how long do you have to wait?

the wheels are a 25p offset and fit mint, flatmate has a 17p and they rub slightly in heavy acceleration, Both 18's

i think they were basiclly the same price as normal lowering springs, from memory but will ask tomorrow.

Guest FrantiC

Mine are Jamex Super lows. 60mm drop front and rear..

Only thing is the front sits about 85mm at the subframe so good luck getting warrants. Most of the time I get away with it but VTNZ has snapped me out before just because my oil pan would smack onto the middle raised section of the brake testing dyno.

Mine are Jamex Super lows. 60mm drop front and rear..

Only thing is the front sits about 85mm at the subframe so good luck getting warrants. Most of the time I get away with it but VTNZ has snapped me out before just because my oil pan would smack onto the middle raised section of the brake testing dyno.

thats weird, i have the same( jamex superlows 60mm drop) and i got new shocks installed last week and a wof and they said it was bang on 100mm

are you sure thats the hight, my e30 was 160mm of ground at standard, then it was 80mm

Where exactly did you measure from?

Guest FrantiC

thats weird, i have the same( jamex superlows 60mm drop) and i got new shocks installed last week and a wof and they said it was bang on 100mm

Mine with no one in it, less than 20l gas (im so poor lol) and just everything pretty much standard is sitting around 85 at the CAB's. Subframe is about the same. Go measure yours at the CAB and let me know. With these springs in my 87 pre f/l 325i coupe and this 89 320i body both have been under 100mm. No rubber spring pad things either if that makes much of a difference.