Sign in to follow this  
Capacious

New Guy and advice please

Hey all,

I'm new, currently own an old E32 735iL and love it.

Its time to buy something more modern however and I'm trying to decide between a 540i and a 330i. Both would be 1999 - 2001 models.

The 540 tends to be slightly cheaper it seems but I'm wondering how much difference in performance there is between the two? Or if I should be considering another model in the $15-18k range?

They're quite different cars. The 540 is heavier, has more torque and power, but as with all larger cars, the chuckability is compromised.

The 330 would most likely be a more engaging drive.

You really need to test drive both to see what suits you.

I havn't driven a 330 yet (even though I looked at buying one a few months back - never got past the looking stage). The 540's are very quick, but in a kind of detached way - they sound awesome, but they are so smooth, you don't get the sensation of going fast until you are going very fast.

I imagine the 330 would be more fun, and you'd be using more of the rev range.

Personally, I'd go the 330 for driveability. With a few mods these cars handle very well. They also dress up nice too with some sensible mods.

BTW: Welcome to the forum :D

Edited by *Glenn*

Going from a big 7 series you would probialy find the 540 quite chuckable being smaller in size that the 7, but ultimately the 330 will handle better, my granddad has a 330 and its a very quick car and handles amazingly.

Father has a 540 and is utterly amazing. I get out of my 323 coupe and drive his 540 and its so refined, theres soo much more space and the power is fantastic.

The 540 will be higher spec'd as well. And they can look great with some simple mods.

Sweet, thanks all for the advice!

I would love to go and test drive a few examples of both, but time is always my enemy, never have enough of it! I have an option to buy a very low miles 2000 model 330i for $15k so I'm thinking its too cheap to pass up... if its well maintained.

I do prefer refinement in my cars over cornering ability. Previous cars include Toyota Crown, Merc 500SEL, Ford Fairlaine (embarassing... but I was living in Australia so when in Rome...) and a few Legnum VR4s.

In my younger days I had some track cars that were barely road legal and set up to corner like a go-kart, but I think I've lost that passion in my old age (27 lol).

In a 330i would I be wringing its neck all the time to extract the power? If so the car would be wasted on me.

Sweet, thanks all for the advice!

I would love to go and test drive a few examples of both, but time is always my enemy, never have enough of it! I have an option to buy a very low miles 2000 model 330i for $15k so I'm thinking its too cheap to pass up... if its well maintained.

I do prefer refinement in my cars over cornering ability. Previous cars include Toyota Crown, Merc 500SEL, Ford Fairlaine (embarassing... but I was living in Australia so when in Rome...) and a few Legnum VR4s.

In my younger days I had some track cars that were barely road legal and set up to corner like a go-kart, but I think I've lost that passion in my old age (27 lol).

In a 330i would I be wringing its neck all the time to extract the power? If so the car would be wasted on me.

no the 3.0 six is a very nice engine and like most non M bmw engines they have good torque...esp in a lighter car.Try a e39 530 if you get the chance,in fact try Allan on this forum he may be looking at selling his

Not at all, the 330 is a powerful car for the size.

Power to weight ratio for the:

330i: 162.16 hp/tonne

540i: 169.93 hp/tonne

I just bought a 1998 540i on Labour Weekend. DO IT!!!

They are a fantastic car. I'm still finding things and going WOW!

I personally prefer 3 series. I like the smaller cars. Im hoping to buy a 2000+ 330i sometime next year.