Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E30 Manual Gearboxes

I have a Manual 320i, im aware that the gearbox it runs is different than the fitted to the 325i, I plan on upgrading to the M20B25/7 in the near future and would like to know if my 320i gear box is compatible.

If it isn’t It could break the idea of doing it as because you all know a 5-speed gearbox for an E30 is quite expensive.

Thanks.

All 6 cyl e30 boxes are interchangeable. The only thing to remember is that if the motor is pre f/l then you need the crankangle and position sensors on the gearbox bellhousing.

So in short.

All pre f/l boxes for 6 cyl cars can go on any 6 cyl motor.

f/l boxes can only go on f/l cars unless you plan to drill and tap holes for the sensors.

The larger getrag 260 from the 325's is stronger, but the 240 from the 320's isn't bad.

And they aren't that expensive really - as little as $400-500 if you wait for a cheapie.

A year or two ago I bought 240 manual conversion for my 325. A week later I found a 260 for even less on TM, so I bought it.

Sold the 240 slightly cheaper than I paid for it and broke even on the swap.

Edited by bravo

Thanks, was a bit of a nube question but seeming I have spent nearly a year contemplating I thought id double check :)

Will be a facelift engine onto a facelift box so im guessing my box has the sensors.

Was the much of a difference 240 to 260 drive wise, the 240 in mine is nice and smooth and feels strong.

I have a rebuilt one if you're interested :P

260 is apparently stronger.

F/l to f/l doesn't need sensors - your sensor is on the front of the motor, so you'll be fine.

There are a couple of different boxes - some have a 1:1 final drive, but most have an overdrive 5th.

But as far as shifting and usage goes, I've driven both and can't really tell the difference. It depends more on the quality of the bushes between the box and your hand.

The 260 I think is just stronger - longer actual gears so less prone to stripping etc as I understand it. Box design is much the same - one is just bigger/beefier.

couple of things to note: the 260 and 240 are different lengths, so a different front half of the drive shaft is needed, or have the current one shortened if your going from a 240 to a 260. And I'm pretty sure the pre-FL L-jet 320i and 323i dont need the gearboxes sensors that the 325i does - so any box will work.

couple of things to note: the 260 and 240 are different lengths, so a different front half of the drive shaft is needed, or have the current one shortened if your going from a 240 to a 260. And I'm pretty sure the pre-FL L-jet 320i and 323i dont need the gearboxes sensors that the 325i does - so any box will work.

You are correct - Ljet 320s, 323s (pre facelift) dont have the sensor in the bell housing, they don't even have them anywhere else!

I'm still using my 240 Graham, haven't had any issues, and it gets the rough treatment every now and then.

Edited by QuickSilver