Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

RB20 Turbo build

haha, was going to search other forums for this info

but you guys are much more fun to talk to

In regards to the rb20 turbo engine in my friends silvia (but bmws will always be where the love is, well e30's haha)

In the make of a more efficient Intake manifold, e.g. getting rid of the old Plenum, and counting how many stupid vaccum lines there are, and pointless sensors.

in general, of running of a car, or turbo car

Which ones are needed ?

Which ones are just a monumental waste?

And there appear to be miscelanious Air temp sensors on the intake, in removing them how could we sabotage the running of the car ?

e.g. just trying to tidy up, and cut out what is a complete waste of time.

Pictures uploaded soon, but any help would be fantastic !!!!!

I dont know sh*t but would have thought that everything would serve a purpose.

if it was a sr20 best bet would be the quad throttle bodys off a fwd gtir pulsar

its my current car an it came with the rb20det in it. if i got the s13 coupe version(not the hatchback) i would have got 1 with a sr20det in it. but its not. also just a random question how much do e30 m3 s14 motors go for an any in nz? just having thoughts bout a new bmw build for future

also just a random question how much do e30 m3 s14 motors go for an any in nz? just having thoughts bout a new bmw build for future

Never seen one for sale, only seem to come in m3's(30k+)

Sourced from oversea's prob at least 7-8k

if it was a sr20 best bet would be the quad throttle bodys off a fwd gtir pulsar

No. For a start the intake ends up facing the firewall. Secondly you will get near NO gains from it. Hence why nobody does this. I only know of one Silvia with quad throttle bodies in SNZ (Silvia New Zealand). It was an aftermarket set made for RWD. And they were such a hassle for us to set up. And not much of a gain in HP and crazy expensive.

As for the RB20. If you still have things like the carbon canister you can get rid of that. Should cut out a few vacuum lines. But other than that there is not much you can get rid off. Otherwise you could spend a bit on money and buy a larger front facing plenum. But do not bother modifying the stock one. This of course only suites if you have a FMIC.

Jeddy is right about the cost of the S14. Everyone wants an BMW S14 motor when they first come on bimmersport. Until they realise how much they are. Dream shattered unless you win lotto and still have an urge to build a fake M3? :mellow:

Last S14 on trademe sold for about 5K if I recall correctly.

I met a guy recently who imported an s14 (BMW motor, not Nissan Silvia!) and has so far spent over 12k in rebuilding it......

Ouch!

Edited by Ross

Unfortunately rebuild costs on them are extremely high, like Ross says. It's the main thing that puts me off them (even more than the cost of buying one).

The last one I saw on Trademe was about $7-8k I think. You never know if they'll need a rebuild, but since I was considering it for racing it more a matter of "when" rather than "if"...

Which is why I am going turbo.

Edited by CamB

Best way to get and S14 is when it comes with an E30 M3. Just have to spend a little more ^_^

yea i was just curious on it an thought that in a 318 would make a nice lil drift car. an yea i havent always wanted it. 2 be honest ive always wanted a m20b25(or b27) turbo ^_^ when bmws r concerted that is. an yea the sr20 quad throttle bodys r a waste of time. an the rb ive got dont got no carbon canister. ive also been talkin 2 the guys on snz bout it an going with wat foreversideways has said 2 do. an that is 2 remove the idlle control valve an just ajust the throttle screw 2 copensate. then just make the vacum lines for al my other stuff(eg boost gauge, turbo wastegate, bov, brake booster, fuel pres reg) an we should be al gud. with a custom plenum welded to a factory set of runners. an also bout bmw stuff, ill be building a e30 with a m30b30 in it with old jono's(325_driver) help. an have some fun with that :D but thats after ive finished the 200sx an finished my/brothers car(ke70 dx corolla wags) i seem 2 be full of ideas for fun cars but my wallet never agrees with me lol