Sign in to follow this  
nickr

E39 Electrics problem

Just yesterday someone wound down the left rear window in my 1996 E39 525i and now it won't wind up. All the other windows, sunroof, etc are functional. Doesn't matter whether I use the driver's switch or the one on the left rear door handle, or the keys or the remote. The fuses are all intact. Now I have also discovered the left front passenger door lock doesn't seem to operate via central locking.

Is my computer glitched to hell or what?

Edited by nickr

The window fault will be the motor or regulator. The L/H front door lock will be the central lock motor in that door.

Both faults would need to be checked to confirm

The window fault will be the motor or regulator. The L/H front door lock will be the central lock motor in that door.

Both faults would need to be checked to confirm

I have it at the auto electricians troday, hopefully it is simple (and cheap!)

I have it at the auto electricians troday, hopefully it is simple (and cheap!)

Simple & cheap in the same sentence ??? You do realise you are driving a BMW ?? that is also possibly an import :P

I went threw a couple of regulators, left hand rear also. Unfortunately BMW wreckers are well aware of the factory design flaw and charge accordingly due to rarity. From memory the last one was $400 plus a bit of tricky installation.

Would get a new one if it is the regulator as a second hand one could fail within a short time.

I totaly agree with Graham.....dont go 2nd hand with regulators....youll be doing the same job again.... go new